Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Buy This Book

This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430
hayekianxyz Posted: Wed, Aug 5 2009 4:20 PM

Do yourself a huge favour, put down your copy of The Privatization of Roads and Highways and buy this book.

I just finished the book and I have to say it is probably one of the best books I've yet to read in the Austrian tradition. Not only is the book itself beautiful but Leeson is a star, the book is clearly written, imaginative and very original.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 478
Points 9,180

But I've already read Block's Privatisation (not the greatest read ever) Huh? . What is it that makes the book so good and so "Austrian". 

Leeson's stuff on Somalia is also top notch.

Austrians do it a priori

Irish Liberty Forum 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Wed, Aug 5 2009 5:10 PM

Giles Stratton:

it is probably one of the best books I've yet to read in the Austrian tradition

Can you elaborate?

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

It's just a really interesting and informative books, it also shows the ability of Austrian economics to show the rationale behind various forms of organization. If you want a taste of the book listen to the podcast in which Russ Roberts interviews Peter Leeson here. It's probably not ideal for your thorough going Rothbardian since it draws on transaction cost economics and public choice economics, for example, but it's a really insightful book and you'll learn a lot from it. I think it also shows the importance of empirical studies in that it illustrates how it is that individuals can organize and how governance can emerge without coercion.

I'm also looking forward to reading Coyne's After War.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Wed, Aug 5 2009 6:11 PM

Second, I read it a month ago and It is great. Even if you already have a fairly good understanding of the Austrian tradition you still learn about pirates! (However, in my opinion, if you've already started The Privatization of Roads and Highways you might as well finish it.)

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS