  • Fed Policy Caused Financial Crisis?

    Was the Federal Reserve's monetary policy the proximal cause of the financial crisis of 2007-2008? Also, what are the best free market sources for information and argumentation on this mechanism (e.g. published papers, data, forecasted predictions, etc)?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Austen on Sun, Nov 18 2012
  • Fractional Reserve Banking and Maximizing Liberty

    I understand the rational behind full reserve banking, but would banning fractional reserve banking be right? What if someone wants their money to be lent out with only fractional reserves kept? Wouldn't banning fractional reserves be similar to occupational liscensure or drug prohibition? There...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Prescience500 on Wed, Aug 8 2012
  • The Modern Day US Banking System

    I am trying to wrap my head around the current US banking system and it is very difficult. I have read books by Ron Paul, What has government done to our money by Rothbard, Economics in One Lesson by Hazlitt, and various other articles and books. But I cannot seem to find much literature specifically...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Sat, May 26 2012
  • Ron Paul's Book 'End the Fed' Discussion

    Hello all. This is my first post at the Mises Forum. In the last few month I've taken interest in Austrian economics. I'm just about fininshed with Robert Murphy's Lessons for the Young Economists . I've read Murphy's Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jarrett Cooper on Sun, Jan 15 2012
  • interest and the bible

    The bible prohibits interest. Could we also claim that interest is the cause of all this debt and fake money being built up over the last 40 years leading to the final straw that broke the camels back in 2008. That being said, how would interest free banks work in a free banking system. And is rothbard...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Constittuionalist on Wed, Oct 5 2011
  • Do Time Deposits create money?

    I have been looking around on this site for an answer to such a question, but I cannot a definite one. By time deposit I mean this: The depositor puts $100 in the bank, but cannot touch it for say 5 years. During that period, the bank loans out the $100. After 5 years, assuming the bank did not make...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Fri, Jun 17 2011
  • Is Full Reserve Banking Compatible With Fiat Currency?

    Lets suppose the government outlaws fractional reserve banking, but keeps our current fiat currency system the same. Can a Full Reserve Banking System co-exist with a fiat monetary system? What would be likely consequences of such changes?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by djussila on Mon, Nov 8 2010
  • Looking for feedback on document

    I have been writing up stuff that I thought was interesting and related to the current economic mess. It has gotten a bit long but I really think it has many interesting things that I did not understand a year ago. I think other Austrian economist types will agree with most of it and still find new stuff...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Vincent Cate on Sat, Sep 18 2010
  • Making a book illustrating Austrian Economics. Need some help!

    Hello everyone. I'm a Graphic Designer graduating this year and I'm really trying to make my portfolio the best it can be. Because of this, I have an idea of creating a book which lays out economic laws and theories, accompanied by illustrations which culminate in the end of the book to describing...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Andy on Wed, May 26 2010
  • HOW IS THE US GOVERNMENT PAYING OFF THE NATIONAL DEBT

    The US government paying off the national debt by borrowing more money, and/or printing more US bonds and selling them. This is an over simplification, but when these existing US bonds come due, the US government redeems these bonds with US dollars that are raised by selling more freshly printed new...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Gerald Spencer on Fri, Mar 12 2010
Page 1 of 6 (59 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »