  • How fractional reserve banks loan money into existence

    I always have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of money creation through fractional reserve banking. I get the general idea, but I have a hard time re-articulating that idea to other people. I use comparisons to help me understand concepts, so I would like to know if this comparison is basically...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Mon, Sep 26 2011
  • How does the IMF work?

    Hey, I'm an economics newbie but I'm interested in understanding the basics of the Internation Monetary Fund and I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on it for me. I've done a bunch of Googling but I'm having a hard time understanding completely. First Question: How does the...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by philjohnston on Thu, Oct 28 2010
  • Looking for feedback on document

    I have been writing up stuff that I thought was interesting and related to the current economic mess. It has gotten a bit long but I really think it has many interesting things that I did not understand a year ago. I think other Austrian economist types will agree with most of it and still find new stuff...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Vincent Cate on Sat, Sep 18 2010
  • HOW IS THE US GOVERNMENT PAYING OFF THE NATIONAL DEBT

    The US government paying off the national debt by borrowing more money, and/or printing more US bonds and selling them. This is an over simplification, but when these existing US bonds come due, the US government redeems these bonds with US dollars that are raised by selling more freshly printed new...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Gerald Spencer on Fri, Mar 12 2010
  • Re: Savings and Loan

    The S&L crisis occurred because of bad deregulation. Under previous regulation, S&Ls were limited to loan on owner-occupied single-family residences and their deposits were insured by the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation (FSLIC). In the 1980's, the S&Ls were permitted to...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by DougM on Tue, Dec 15 2009
  • "Sound" banks?

    Had a question for anyone who could give a half-way descent answer to it - If the idea of sound money is growing, then why aren't there (to my knowledge) any "sound" banks or credit unions? What I mean by this is, at a minimum, is banks who hold the value of money equal to deposits? Or...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Nikhil Kumra on Wed, Oct 28 2009
  • Re: Questions About Free Market Money

    [quote user="limitgov"] Q1: In essence Bank of America has its own notes as does chase and now markets have to pay for the overhead in maintaining such a number of different currencies and prices of goods have to be constantly changed per the currency you hold as in buying a can of beans may...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Wanderer on Fri, Oct 9 2009
  • Natural Money: The most efficient monetary system

    Hello all, I have posted here an introduction on the theory of natural money (hoarding fee, no interest, no credit). I am sure this will be the monetary system for the future because it creates the most efficient economy and the highest level of economic freedom and wealth for everyone. Bart Natural...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by niphtrique on Sat, May 23 2009
  • Re: Fractional reserve banking

    Here's a story I just wrote to help explain what the Fed's doing to wreck our economy. Please let me know if it helps. Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 The Three Little Pigs and the Federal Reserve Crisis In their later years, they bought a yacht and sailed the seven seas...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by smokedgoldeye on Tue, Feb 24 2009
  • Re: What is the cause of the current deflation?

    [quote user="Okooka"]But isn't the problem with FRB as well? Banks give out multiplied ammount of credit based on deposits, so when a crisis hits and people start to default, the money supply contracts. Do I have anything wrong with seeing it like that? Admittedly I still don't quite...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Charles Anthony on Thu, Nov 27 2008
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >