  • Does someone have a simple explanation of Trade Weighted index

    Hello all, I am having a time comming up with a simple explanation of what dollar index (trade weighted index) is. First there is my limitation, as I am not that familiar with it. Second, the only definition I have is from WikiPedia which is a little vague. First question that comes to mind about the...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Norman Bauer on Fri, Jun 15 2012
  • Bitcoin DO NOT WANT!?

    Well hello peoples. I am increasingly amazed at the harsh criticism Bitcoin has gotten from Austrian economists. Everyone is all hot and bothered about the fact that Bitcoin does not have any physical backing. So here's an experiment: Imagine that tomorrow someone releases a website called GoldBackedBitcoin...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Seraiah on Thu, Jun 14 2012
  • Savings and Interest Rates

    Hey guys, So, I'm quite new to the Austrian school of economics. I've been a libertarian for quite some time, now, but my arguments have usually been based on the philosophy/moral side of things (primacy of the individual/taxation is theft, that sort of thing). My understanding of the Austrian...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Samuel Smith on Mon, May 14 2012
  • Currency Wars - How can currecy depreciation boost exports?

    I'm currently reading Currency Wars by James Rickards. In it, he says that one way for a nation to boost its exports is to depreciate its currency by printing money. For example, let's say that the price of a German car is 20,000 marks or 20,000 US dollars. And let's say the exchange rate...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jesse Cohen on Mon, May 7 2012
  • yuan devaluation

    I just read this article http://mises.org/daily/4256 I understand most everything in it and it makes sense but I am stuck on one spot and it might just be my brain jumping around on too many other things. "By making Chinese goods cheaper through inflation, the People's Bank of China is effectively...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by swalsh81 on Tue, Nov 22 2011
  • Safe currencies

    I have been trying to convince my parents to put their money into precious metals for the past few years, however, they have continuously refused to do so. After recent events with the Euro they have finally agreed that they need to geet their money out of the Euro, but they are only willing to put their...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Vladimir Ulyanov on Thu, Nov 3 2011
  • Why can't we just use other currencies?

    I'm not even at the 101 stage of economics understanding, so forgive me if my question sounds simplistic or naive! I'm just wondering why, with some of the uncertainty and doubts over some currencies (eg, the euro) and money systems (like sterling and the Bank of England), can't individuals...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by jsp_1983 on Wed, Oct 26 2011
  • When do you think the next economic meltdown will occur?

    By the looks of it, the economy is only going to get worse (part of the reason why I'm taking up a survivalist platform and buying gold/silver and learning primitive/hunter-gatherer skills). When do you think it will collapse for good?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Freedom4Me73986 on Sat, Jul 9 2011
  • US in debt more money than there is money in the world??

    So I was using the US debt clock to explain to someone our extreme debt problem: http://www.usdebtclock.org/ I t states that we have 114 trillion in unfunded liabilities alone. He responded that this must be "pure bull" because that is more money than the entire money in the world currently...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by unreal030 on Wed, May 25 2011
  • Effect of the US dollar no longer being an international currency

    Is anyone aware of any studies or estimates that have been made on the effect of those trillions of dollars around the world, coming back home to the US, in the event of the dollar no longer being the de fact international currency (say, if oil were to be priced in euros, etc.)? Does anyone have any...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by prr on Sat, May 7 2011
Page 1 of 5 (50 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >