  • Currency Wars - How can currecy depreciation boost exports?

    I'm currently reading Currency Wars by James Rickards. In it, he says that one way for a nation to boost its exports is to depreciate its currency by printing money. For example, let's say that the price of a German car is 20,000 marks or 20,000 US dollars. And let's say the exchange rate...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jesse Cohen on Mon, May 7 2012
  • Question about Debt Repudiation and Fiat Currency

    Hello. This is my first post on the mises.org forums. I have been reading the articles on this site for over five years now, and I have also been keeping up with libertarian and anarcho-capitalist news for about the same time. I am familiar with the basics of Austrian economics and have read some Austrian...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by linguae on Tue, Jan 31 2012
  • Ford worker's buying power - 1914 vs. today

    I heard a statement from Peter Schiff yesterday and I’m having some trouble thinking about it. The average Ford worker in Henry Ford’s era (1914) earned approximately $5 per day in wages – the equivalent of 1.25 ounces of gold per week. The average Ford worker today earns approximately...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JH2011 on Tue, Oct 4 2011
  • Is there enough gold in the world to go back to a gold standard?

    I saw this on an anti-Ron Paul site today. Some marxist said if America goes back to the gold standard it would either have to buy up all the gold on earth or it would have to find a way to take money out of circulation in order for the amount of money to equal the amount of gold. Is this true?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Freedom4Me73986 on Sat, Jul 16 2011
  • Why don't people trade in gold?

    I've been wondering for some time now why people don't currently use gold, silver, platinum, bananas, or whatever as a medium for exchange instead of dollars, euros, yen, etc. Are there laws in place forcing people to trade in dollars? There are plenty of other things available that could be...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Chris on Fri, May 6 2011
  • Advantages of Fiat Currency?

    Hey Mises Community members, I'm back with another question. I've been trying to figure out why we have a fiat currency system. There is a ton of information on the 'net about the DISadvantages of fiat currency, but few resources that address its advantages. The best I've found so far...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by aelephant on Wed, Jan 12 2011
  • Is Full Reserve Banking Compatible With Fiat Currency?

    Lets suppose the government outlaws fractional reserve banking, but keeps our current fiat currency system the same. Can a Full Reserve Banking System co-exist with a fiat monetary system? What would be likely consequences of such changes?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by djussila on Mon, Nov 8 2010
  • What will happen to other currencies when the US dollar collapses?

    Fiat currencies cannot last forever. They survive only because of the residual value from previous commodity standard. But that residual value is eroded as well until fiat monetary system collapses and forces a return to sound money, however temporary. What will happen to currencies like Renminbi, Euro...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kenneth on Mon, Apr 26 2010
  • Federal Reserve and Heroin

    We've had the Fed for almost 100 years by now. Assuming that pumping money into the economy is the same as pumping smack into someone's veins how do we kick the habit without getting the shakes and seeing dead babies crawl up along the ceiling? The short term pain might be accepted by the folks...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by CrazyCoot on Thu, Jan 7 2010
  • I don't understand foreign exchange

    I’m really having trouble understanding foreign exchange. Here is scenario I’m struggling with. I’m trying to break it down very simply for myself. We have a “US bank” and a “Canadian Bank”. I (American) am going to Canada and want to buy some Canadian goods...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kevin7D on Sun, Dec 27 2009
Page 1 of 4 (36 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >