  • The Real Estate Bubble and Owners' Equivalent Rent

    Economists of the Austrian School understand that monetary expansion has the effect of making things more expensive than they otherwise would have been. At the root of the real-estate bubble was Federal Reserve monetary expansion funneled into the purchase of mortgages by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by hjmaiere on Mon, Nov 12 2012
  • Where in money supply is the 16 trillion revealed in 2011 Fed audit?

    Hi, The money supply, according to Austrian economists, is about $8.7 trillion . Last year, the one-time Federal Reserve Audit revealed $16 trillion in loans to banks, companies and foreign governments . If the money supply is only $8.7 trillion, where does the $16 trillion fit in? Thanks, Dave
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Dave Doctor on Mon, Sep 17 2012
  • Currency Wars - How can currecy depreciation boost exports?

    I'm currently reading Currency Wars by James Rickards. In it, he says that one way for a nation to boost its exports is to depreciate its currency by printing money. For example, let's say that the price of a German car is 20,000 marks or 20,000 US dollars. And let's say the exchange rate...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jesse Cohen on Mon, May 7 2012
  • Monetary Inflation not leading to Price Inflation?

    Theoretically speaking, monetary inflation will eventually lead to price inflation. However, we have yet to see price inflation since QE 1 and 2. What factors are keeping price inflation from taking effect, despite a a rise in the money supply? Some ideas are: wages of most americans have stagnated since...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ViennaSausage on Mon, Dec 26 2011
  • Re: Bernanke claims he is not printing money.

    Bernanke, however incompetent he seems to be regarding even some basic economic theory, is correct when he says: We’re not printing money. The amount of currency in circulation is not changing. The money supply is not changing in any significant way. – Ben Bernanke, 60 Minutes Interview,...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kaz on Thu, Dec 9 2010
  • Inflation vs Deflation and Money supply

    Hello Im economy student (Prague), and during last few months I read some things about austrian economics. I like it, and Im trying to present this view to my friends whenever discussion about economy occurs. I had a discussion with a friend about inflation vs deflation, where i was a devils advocate...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by SadPraetor on Mon, Sep 27 2010
  • Vertical and Horizontal Monetary Creation???

    I was wondering if someone could give me a hand with this guys blog post - he seems to think that the US Government is not Revenue Constrained - And can basically print money forever with no downside - he is of the mind that even taxes are theoretically not necessary. Also he thinks that the USA will...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Redmond on Tue, Jul 27 2010
  • Income Gap vs. Money Supply

    Pretend that there are 1,000 people in the world. And everyone is given $1. Assuming that certain people profit and others do not, it would mean that someone could end up having $5 for himself and four other people would have $0. People have argued that to me, and I'm not really sure how to defend...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by BrianAnderson on Mon, Jul 12 2010
  • Some Fundamentals of the Austrian View.

    Inquiry & Analysis. I am interested in a discussion of the foundations of the Austrian view- as the participants of this forum understand them. I have been reading in this area and I have a lot of material at my disposal; so I am not seeking links or suggested reading; I have fundamental questions...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by kalinz on Fri, Mar 19 2010
  • Money supply and taxation question

    A doubling of the money supply does not confer any social benefit. It does not add nor deduct from the wealth of society(let's just say this is done by magic fairy so that there is no redistribution). Likewise, cutting the money supply in half does not add nor deduct from the wealth of society. If...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kenneth on Wed, Feb 24 2010
Page 1 of 4 (39 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >