  • Why don't people trade in gold?

    I've been wondering for some time now why people don't currently use gold, silver, platinum, bananas, or whatever as a medium for exchange instead of dollars, euros, yen, etc. Are there laws in place forcing people to trade in dollars? There are plenty of other things available that could be...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Chris on Fri, May 6 2011
  • Should the US Government Create New Temporary Jobs with Borrowed money?

    I think that President Obama plans to borrow more US dollars back from the Foreigners that earned the US dollars manufacturing US consumable products and then provide temporary jobs for unemployed US citizens to construct "Pork Barrel" projects, or rake leaves, or dig a hole today and then...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Gerald Spencer on Mon, Feb 15 2010
  • Natural economic order

    First of all, I would like to introduce myself. I am a computer programmer from the Netherlands. I am working on a theory of money and banking derived from the "Natural Economic Order" of Silvio Gesell. "Natural Economic Order" clearly states that the root the economic and monetary...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by niphtrique on Fri, Oct 3 2008
  • Re: Why have a Central Bank?

    Central banks perform a number of functions; basically they act as the government's own bank, holding the government checking accounts and collecting tax receipts, facilitating the issuance of bonds, etc. They are also frequently given regulatory functions, such as the enforcement of fractional reserves...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by PhCrawford on Sat, Sep 13 2008
  • Re: When can the fed print more money?

    See Rothbard's What Has Government Done to Our Money . When a regular person buys a government bond, that person is spending money they had to have somehow received beforehand from someone else. That is, it must have been money that was already in circulation. When the Federal Reserve buys government...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by hjmaiere on Sun, Apr 13 2008
  • Blueprint for Financial Regulatory Reform

    In the midst of our economic slowdown, the U.S. Treasury Dept has issued what they are calling the "Blueprint for Financial Regulatory Reform". The highlights, as given by an article on Yahoo!'s website , are as follows: --designate the Fed as the primary regulator for market stability...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Sailor on Sun, Mar 30 2008
  • Re: Monetary Policy and the loss of Manufacturing Jobs

    The part that you’re missing is the technical aspect of how the Federal Reserve creates money. This is understandable because critics often use the metaphor that the Fed is “printing’ money or “creating money out of thin air.” What actually happens is that the domestic trading desk at the New York Federal...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by DougM on Mon, Jan 14 2008
  • Dumping the dollar?

    The Ron Paul campaign has lots of people talking about the perils of a debased US dollar. One concern bandied about is that foreign holders of US bonds like China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, etc, will eventually dump their copious supplies of US bonds in favor of a higher return in a different currency, upon...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MikeL on Tue, Oct 23 2007
  • Question about inflation, fiat money, and the poor/middle class

    As I was educated in the Keynesian/inflationist school of economics, I have (until recently) always been a believer that moderate inflation is good for the economy, and inflation in general is generally favorable to borrowers. I have always believed in the Fed system because I thought it was better than...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jason Dean on Mon, Oct 22 2007
  • Re: How would a country get away from a fiat currency and into a hard currency?

    Currency, by definition, is never "hard;" people keep the hard money and spend the least hard. However, the problem is easy if there is a federal system: the central government is mandated to coin both gold and silver coins, the several States adopt one or the other. If someone finds a reef...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Brian W. Firth on Thu, Oct 4 2007
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >