  • (Hyper)inflation vs deflation scenario

    To increase my understanding of Austrian economics I wanted to compare the views of the inflationists and the deflationists. Some propose that the most likely scenario to happen in the (near) future is high- or hyperinflation while others argue that deflation might occur. Deflation: Bank assets decline...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Olav on Sat, Nov 27 2010
  • Productive Capacity Curve-Graph and Unemployment

    I'm currently taking a Microeconomics class, and we were going over the productive capacity curve at the end of class and how the graph gets shifted, how the slope/concavity changes, etc. Anyway, at the end of class he asked a question he wanted us to think about before the next class (Thursday)...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ChroMattic on Tue, Jan 26 2010
  • Re: Inflation deflation debate

    Well, we pretty much have gone through a recession...so now we are logically entering a depression. The decline of the dollar and other currencies is pretty likely. But seeing that many "experts" have foretold such a decline already a couple of years ago it will be interesting to see how everything...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Dennis Tielmann on Sun, Jan 24 2010
  • On "The Great Depression"

    Hello, I'm a newbie with respect to the Austrian School economics and brand new to these forums. My apologies in advance if this is a topic that has come up and been answered numerous times, but I didn't see quite what I was looking for via the search feature, so I thought I'd give you guys...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by JeffB on Thu, Dec 31 2009
  • Re: Has the "Fed" declared an end to the recession?

    The NBER officially dates the end of the recession, largely based on increases in Gross Domestic Product (GDP). The GDP numbers are often revised after they are issued, so the NBER waits several months after an increase in GDP before officially declaring the end of a recession. The Fed is basing its...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by DougM on Tue, Dec 15 2009
  • 13th January 2007: President Bush names Heinrich Paulsohn new Secretary of the Treasury

    There are now thousands of criticisms of what Bush, Paulson and Bernanke did starting in 2007. To show that libertarians would have been able to propose real world workable solutions to the economic crisis, I would like to produce a story which starts with President Bush naming a libertarian as Treasury...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Basil Carmody on Mon, Nov 16 2009
  • How would you respond to this post?

    I was debating the subject of the recession, arguing the Austrian line that he bailouts and stimulus should not have been passed, and the recession should have been allowed to run its course. I got the following reply: "Your argument is basically that if we prevented businesses from borrowing for...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by abskebabs on Tue, Oct 20 2009
  • 1948 recession and post WWII economy

    How bad was the recession of 1948-49?, and how strong was the U.S. export economy immediately following WWII? my hypothesis is that the export economy was not good, given the number of customers killed, and the massive loss of wealth during the war, on the other hand, the U.S. was about the only country...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Attackdonkey on Wed, Sep 2 2009
  • Recession and the capital goods' industries

    Rothbard argued that the Austrian Theory of the Business cycle is superior to the Keynesian because only the Austrian theory can explain why it is that depressions hit the capital goods industries first and the hardest. To what degree is this true of the current recession?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Julio on Sat, May 23 2009
  • Baby-sitting Paul Krugman: Unraveling the Babysitter Analogy

    I recently came across an analogy that Paul Krugman has been using to make the case for an inflationary monetary policy to lift the economy out of a recession. I suspected Krugman to be wrong even before I read it (Afterall, how can I trust anybody who claims that world war 2 lifted us out of the depression...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by RockyRaccoon on Tue, Mar 24 2009
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >