  • What is the least harmful form of taxation?

    Taxation is always harmful, period. But assume hypothetically for a moment that some form of taxation must exist. Which form of taxation would be least harmful? Obviously, low taxes. But which taxes specifically? Taxation is a burden, but it should be a burden borne equally if it is to exist. Income...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by tcostel on Sat, May 28 2011
  • How to fund the federal govt

    I recognize the problems with current taxation at the federal level. However, I have no problems with local/state govts taxing however they see fit. As I see it, as long as people have the freedom to move, those cities/states with overly oppressive taxes will push their people away. In fact, I feel that...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by AntiNeoFascist on Mon, Jan 24 2011
  • Fiat money: Gold, silver, Gresham and Taxation.

    Hi all, I am a longtime reader of this website. I became interested in Austrian economics while studying for an economics degree at university. As you all well know, the standard college econ curriculum is all but useless in terms of its ability to actually inform ones opinions on the topic. Luckily...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Freedom on Fri, Jul 9 2010
  • How To Not Pay Taxes

    What are some inventive ways that people have made up to not pay taxes? Either income or anything else. I don't really know if I'm allowed to ask this on here, but hopefully I can. If the IRS is reading this right now, I'm, um... researching for a book?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by BrianAnderson on Wed, Jun 30 2010
  • 100% Inheritance Tax

    I was having an argument with someone about the Inheritance Tax. I'll just refer to him as my 'opponent' for this discussion. So my opponent was saying that capitalism ends up not being fair in the long run because when wealthy people die, they pass along their fortune to their kids, who...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by BrianAnderson on Tue, Jun 22 2010
  • Re: Is Government Intervention practical given public property?

    This is a situation where we assume there is a state. I agree with your reasoning that there's a state budget for cleaning public property so there's no need to fine. What I really want to ask is do you support any state intervention to clean public property? We are assuming that a state exists...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kenneth on Sun, Feb 28 2010
  • Is Government Intervention practical given public property?

    Would you support taxing corporations that dump waste into public rivers to pay for cleaning the public rivers? I know that the best way is to privatize the river but we are taking public property as a given here. Same also goes for roads. Roads are public so would you support some kind of intervention...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kenneth on Sat, Feb 27 2010
  • Re: Small Businesses - Dying off because lack of anti-trust?

    [quote user="Prateek Sanjay"] I know that small businesses are considered the heroes and underdog champions of free market capitalist society, but at some point, someone was foolish enough to confuse what is good for competitors for what is good for competition, and an equal and "fair"...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ashleycsmith85 on Thu, Feb 25 2010
  • Money supply and taxation question

    A doubling of the money supply does not confer any social benefit. It does not add nor deduct from the wealth of society(let's just say this is done by magic fairy so that there is no redistribution). Likewise, cutting the money supply in half does not add nor deduct from the wealth of society. If...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kenneth on Wed, Feb 24 2010
  • Would you rather have the government ...

    1. Throw all the money that they tax from you in the sea? OR 2. Spend that money? As far as my knowledge in economics goes, number one is the same as the government cutting the money supply, thereby having a deflationary effect. No resources are misallocated by government spending but consumption is...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kenneth on Wed, Feb 24 2010
Page 1 of 3 (24 items) 1 2 3 Next >