  • When was the tipping point?

    Can anyone tell me when we reached such a state of abundance that we can provide things for "free"? Health care, high-speed Internet, food, housing, etc.? I'm just curious, because when we look at history we see a large span when lots went without, when not everyone could be cared for. So I'm just wondering when it was we achieved
    Posted to Apropos Austrian Aphorisms (Weblog) by thedo on Thu, Mar 11 2010
  • 1, 2, 3, ...

    According to commercials that advocate you participate in the upcoming census, if we don't accurately count how many people live where then we can't adequately request funds to pay for our teachers. Apparently all we need to do to allocate teacher and school resources is to count everyone! I wonder how any other (private) business manages to
    Posted to Apropos Austrian Aphorisms (Weblog) by thedo on Wed, Jan 20 2010
  • The best real-world argument for private roads?

    Could it be the Internet? There is no central planning authority dictating traffic routing, yet users get to where they want; information is readily available, accessible; goods are proficient and easily accessed; commerce is booming and, arguably, the future is online ordering; and much more.
    Posted to Apropos Austrian Aphorisms (Weblog) by thedo on Sun, Sep 20 2009
  • Regulation

    A common complaint, certainly when a crises occurs, is that there was not enough regulation. What is meant by regulation, however, is never really clarified. We just need it. For those who think this, or for those who encounter such people, does the thought ever arise to ask, "Can regulation ever be harmful?" because, at least to me, the assumption
    Posted to Apropos Austrian Aphorisms (Weblog) by thedo on Wed, Sep 16 2009
  • How the left can pass universal health care

    Write up the bill and title it the 'No Patient Left Behind Act'. The right should have no problem falling in line, much as it did with education, with the further nationalization of an entire industry.
    Posted to Apropos Austrian Aphorisms (Weblog) by thedo on Wed, Sep 9 2009
  • If you don't like it...

    I'm reading through Thomas DiLorenzo's contribution to the recently published Hoppe Festschrifft and a thought suddenly occurs to me. It occurred as I read through the section on secession and how public choice theorists ignore secession and focus on comparative local governments to analyze how people "vote with their feet" and move
    Posted to Apropos Austrian Aphorisms (Weblog) by thedo on Wed, Aug 5 2009
  • My one rule for government action

    If I were to have one rule for government action it would be this: Do not act unless you can make everyone happy. And because government action is, by definition, acting for one on behalf of another, this should render all government action impossible. I create this rule thinking about the messy discussion over health care and how it is "broken"
    Posted to Apropos Austrian Aphorisms (Weblog) by thedo on Mon, Jun 29 2009
  • Imagine

    I often think how unimaginative statists are. When confronted with an argument against government services, or government itself, statists will at some point respond with a fallacy of a false choice. "Well if the government won't provide X, what then? Do you just want X to not exist?" Of course, X is anything from national defense to police
    Posted to Apropos Austrian Aphorisms (Weblog) by thedo on Thu, Apr 2 2009
  • My first exposition of the modern war propagandists

    Today my state's biggest newspaper, which isn't saying much, published my letter, linked below. It is my first exposition, of which I hope there are more, of the modern war propagandists who clamor for massive public spending similar to World War II to "save us." Read: Killing the Unemployed Would Solve the Problem . Like many newspapers
    Posted to Apropos Austrian Aphorisms (Weblog) by thedo on Sun, Mar 1 2009
  • The prescience of Hazlitt

    Shortly after the erection of Fannie Mae, and nearly 30 years before that of Freddie Mac and the legislation of the Community Reinvestment Act, Henry Hazlitt was there. The voice of the Austrian school could see it with his refined eye, as only he could. 'It,' of course, is the unseen consequences of government action. From the Fiftieth Anniversary
    Posted to Apropos Austrian Aphorisms (Weblog) by thedo on Sat, Feb 7 2009
Page 1 of 4 (36 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | More Search Options