  • Re: Happiness Economics

    [quote user="richie2044"]How about those people that derive happiness and pleasure from being productive? I believe many more people like that exist than this author theorizes. Economic growth is product of people and firms maximizing productivity. Where does this person believe that taxes come from anyway? [/quote] That's the thing. Apparently
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Thu, Jul 31 2008
  • Re: Happiness Economics

    [quote user="HiggsBoson"]Does he explain how you can accurately measure peoples happiness? Seems like it would be very subjective to me, for example someone in a 3rd world country might say they are "very happy" because they have a shack to live in and a cow and two chickens, while a "poor" person in America, who has a
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Thu, Jul 31 2008
  • Re: Happiness Economics

    [quote user="krazy kaju"] If it was real utilitarianism, I'm affraid it would have to support less taxes. Mises, anyone? [/quote] But sir, according to Layard rich people value each additional dollar less and less, while the poor value that extra dollar a lot more.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Thu, Jul 31 2008
  • Happiness Economics

    Happiness economics ( Wikipedia article ) is all the rage at the moment. I have read Happiness: Lessons from a New Science by Layard and it piqued my interest with a few things he said: 1. Happiness DOES exist. If you look at the brain activity of people who look at 'happy' pictures, regions of their brains light up. 2. You can measure happiness
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Thu, Jul 31 2008
  • Re: Inflation vs. Recession

    Very good point. Keynes famously stated that we are doomed to suffer from a lack of Aggregate Demand and unemployment will always linger abouve its natural rate. The "solution" to this is massive public spending which have the down side of inflation. This is a minor speed bump for Keynesians who resort to the old mantra "In the long run
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Thu, Jul 31 2008
  • Re: Question about Forbes article regarding high inflation rates for various cities

    [quote user="fsk"]Price inflation is not uniform. Most of the new money is printed and spent in New York City and Washingon D.C, so inflation usually occurs there first. There's a time lag inflation effect, the further you are from the source.[/quote] Does this mean the same is true of interest rates? If the CB sets an interest rate thats
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Wed, Jul 30 2008
  • Re: Macroeconomic statements

    [quote user="eliotn"]I just wanted to add on to this that there is a game at the Federal Reserve where you play as the chairman of the Federal Reserve. Bad things happen (in the news), and as chairman, you leverage economic policy so that these things don't happen. And no, it works according to flawed macroeconomic theory to determine
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Wed, Jul 30 2008
  • Re: Macroeconomic statements

    Oh goodie! A quiz! [quote user="eliotn"] Are these fact, or fiction? 1. World War II got the US out of the Great Depression 2. By inflating the currency, the Fed (or treasury) helps the economy by stopping unemployment 3. Increasing taxes increases consumption and investment in the long term. 4. Decreasing government spending creates a recession
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Wed, Jul 30 2008
  • Re: Question about Forbes article regarding high inflation rates for various cities

    The logic in that article is ridiculous. This part made me think the dreaded Phillips Curve has raised its ugly head again: [quote] As an example of the contrast, look at Detroit. Unemployment is over 8%, the highest of any big city in the country, but inflation is at the lowest level of cities Forbes measured. People needing to cut back won't help
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Tue, Jul 29 2008
  • Re: Why the state persists.

    We the government guarantee we will provide all of these amazing services and top notch products.* Seriously, this cartoon is an example of Orwellian double-speak. "We take your money away for your own good!" *Not a guarantee. May come at expense of liberty. No refunds.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Tue, Jul 29 2008
Page 43 of 47 (469 items) « First ... < Previous 41 42 43 44 45 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options