  • Possible exception to self ownership axiom

    A soon-to-be lawyer friend of mine tells me that self-ownership is a misconception. We only have what the law calls 'self-autonomy'. I proved to him that this is self-ownership in all but name, as the same laws that protect property are the same that protect people. What we call 'malicious damage to property' is called 'assault'
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Wed, Jul 23 2008
  • Re: British TV regulators settle climate change debate

    I know who the fuhrer is, but who are the two standing behind him?
    Posted to General (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Mon, Jul 21 2008
  • British TV regulators settle climate change debate

    The UK TV station regulator, Ofcom, has ruled against Channel 4's documentary, The Great Climate Change Swindle. The judgment was made because [quote] ...Channel 4 did not fulfil obligations to be impartial and to reflect a range of views on controversial issues. [/quote] [quote] The Broadcasting Code requires Channel 4 to show "due impartiality"
    Posted to General (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Mon, Jul 21 2008
  • Re: Healthcare and the Invisible Hand

    "It is not selfish to be self-interested" - Adam Smith
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Sun, Jul 20 2008
  • Re: Business Cycle Theory

    Well, the initial effects of inflation appear positive. Firms see that there is an increased demand for their products so they hire more workers. Unemployment falls. Production booms. This is the boom phase. However, the boom isn't caused by an increase in productivity it's caused by an excess amount of paper money. Once businesses realise they've
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Mon, Jul 7 2008
  • Bad neighbours...

    Apologies if someone has already discussed this before me... Heres a scenario: I live in a quiet neighbourhood. One day my nextdoor neighbour decides to paint his house pink and yellow polka dots and mess up his front yard. This would severely put a dent in the market price of my house. Am I entitled to remuniration for the loss of value of my home
    Posted to General (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Fri, Jul 4 2008
  • Re: Birthday party snub sparks debate

    Two thumbs up for the father for pointing out the real issue: [quote user="Jon Irenicus"]"No one has the right to confiscate someone's property in this way, it's like taking someone's post," he added.[/quote] Two thumbs down for Sweden: it's a real shame the dad is the one who has to justify his son's actions
    Posted to General (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Sun, Jun 29 2008
  • Re: Child Support

    From Defending the Undefendable (Chapter 32) by Walter Block [quote] 1. All children are equal in rights due them from their parents, regardless of the way in which they were conceived. 2. Specifically, the child who is a product of rape has as many obligations due him from his female parent as any other child. (We assume that the male parent, the rapist
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Sun, Jun 29 2008
  • Re: Ownership and Liability

    [quote user="JCFolsom"]That is to say, ought one not be liable for what another does with his property, so long as the control of that property was legitimately and voluntarily handed over. Actions taken with your property remain your actions, whether or not you've taken the risk of letting another have direct control. If another is controlling
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Thu, Jun 26 2008
  • Re: Obama quote of the day.

    [quote user="Peter Griffin"] aren't you guys excited that a democrat, Obama, is going to be the next preisdent of USA. The next great depression is likely to happen in Obama's term. If they think that a Democrat president is better than a republican president, thanks to Bush, and then the economic recession that we've been predicting
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Thu, Jun 26 2008
Page 45 of 47 (469 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next > | More Search Options