  • Re: Shetland microstate

    [quote user="ryanpatgray"] A new microstate (while it lasts perhaps) is in the Shetland Islands http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080621/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_britain_island_independence [/quote] It's no Sealand ...arguably a more refined place that claims it satisfies both constituative and declatory theory of statehood. Unfortunately outside
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Thu, Jun 26 2008
  • Re: Child Support

    One of my favourite Blairisms is the 'rights and responsibilites' jargon. Right now a father's rights with regards to his kids are still highly unequal to mother's rights. At present, governments want fathers to shoulder the responsibilities without the corresponding rights. Has anyone considered pre-nuptual agreements as the solution
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Sat, Jun 21 2008
  • Re: Obama quote of the day.

    From the New Statesman magazine (the same rag that Keynes wrote for): [quote] Obama is a truly Democratic Expansionist He (Obama) promised to support an "undivided Jerusalem" as Israel's capital. Not a single government on earth supports the Israeli annexation of all Jerusalem, including the Bush regime, which recognises the UN resolution
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Sat, Jun 21 2008
  • Re: How do you respond to this?

    While there is a monopoly in place, you could in theory switch government suppliers by leaving the country. After I slept this over I remembered taxation is theft and your friend's argument essentially blames the victim for permitting the crime to take place, when it sholdn't be taking place at all. If the green grocer is having money extorted
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Tue, Jun 17 2008
  • Re: How do you respond to this?

    Perhaps you could say something like: "Well actually I am not entirely free to leave because there are several 'barriers to exit' , both personally created (like a house that must be sold, a job that must be abandoned, etc.) and governmentally created and enforced (nationality, citizenship, etc) making transition difficult. In reality people
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Mon, Jun 16 2008
  • Re: Ireland's NO to EU constitution

    The NO campaign did a lot of scaremongering about EU-wide taxation (not mentioned in the treaty at all), EU militarilisation and "privatisation of health and education". The reason the NO vote prevailed in the end was because people essentially didn't actully know what the Treaty was about. Now sit back and watch Europe demand a second
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Mon, Jun 16 2008
  • Re: Funny anti-RP article from my college's newspaper.

    [quote user="JohnSchreimann"]The Friedmanite insistence that poor people are too ignorant of the economy to effectively decide what ought to be done brings Paul's supporters more in line with the stubborn anti-democracy of Lenin than the florid idealism of Martin Luther King Jr. or Emma Goldman. [/quote] Oh dear. Ohhhhhhhh dear.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Tue, Jun 10 2008
  • Re: Any evidence of Predatory Pricing?

    The closest example to this I can think of is $0.01 flights??? Advertising 1 cent flights in the EU is now apparently illigal...even if that is the actual amount the airline receives. Don't think that any airline has ever gone out of business because of it.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Tue, Jun 10 2008
  • Re: Can't hack it in the real world... join the army!

    [quote user="JAlanKatz"]Of course, the customer cannot force the store to start stocking lobsters and not rocks, but neither can the store owner force the customer to keep him in business. So why shouldn't the property owner take into account what the students desire? [/quote] Your argument seems to be focussing on "opinion"
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Sun, Jun 8 2008
  • Re: disturbing new (to me) Obama ad.

    [quote user="JohnSchreimann"] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSJsEVf0pU O-bam-uh ob-ahm-uh o-bomb-uh [/quote] " War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength."
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by MatthewWilliam on Sun, Jun 8 2008
Page 46 of 47 (469 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next > | More Search Options