  • Re: Why Low Minimum Wages Kill Jobs and Crush Living Standards for Everyone

    Doesn't his focus on consumer demand contradict his assertion that although businesses consume labor, an increase in their spending power (brought about by lower wages) won't help to increase demand and fund the lives of wage-earners (perhaps allowing them to spend their money on the goods that presently exist)? Isn't this process much less
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by fakename on Tue, Jan 29 2013
  • Re: Is ethics/politics exempt from "the economic problem"?

    What I'm trying to figure out is, if you believe that there is only 1 answer to political/ethical problems, would morality be centrally plannable? I think the answer would be, "of course" and the simpler the moral theory becomes the easier it would be to centrally plan it. Does this detract from libertarianism? Maybe not, if we think that
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by fakename on Tue, Jan 29 2013
  • Re: Success, Socratic Style

    Seems like this guy has discovered how to never lose a debate again. Also says that you can actually convert people. I don't know what you guys think, but this man's a genius. Read it! NOW! It's not possible to win every debate since this would require you to know something about every middle term of every argument, and this requires that
    Posted to General (Forum) by fakename on Fri, Jan 25 2013
  • Re: Is ethics/politics exempt from "the economic problem"?

    1. I think every philosopher that I've read or heard about, makes it his lifework to make one solution for every political/ethical problem. They sometimes even establish philosophies of nature to make their solutions more or less inevitable. So for instance, some would say democracy is the means towards a perfect state or aristocracy or some such
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by fakename on Wed, Jan 23 2013
  • Is ethics/politics exempt from "the economic problem"?

    For instance, in the allocation of means to ends in economics there are usually competeing "non-specific" means towards a given end. But in political and ethical philosophy, there is IMO, a tendency to exactly one solution for every problem. For instance, how does one create the perfect state? Every philosopher differs in his rule but all
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by fakename on Mon, Jan 21 2013
  • Re: Alex Jones = Embarrassment to Liberty Movement

    [quote]I don't wanna make light of your situation. God knows I feel for you bro. Blood suckiing parasites and their vaginamony. But how in the hell does you being one of the good men victimized by a succubus mean you "have [not been] afforded better treatment than you would have otherwise gotten [if you weren't a man], probably in a lot
    Posted to General (Forum) by fakename on Wed, Jan 16 2013
  • Re: Sandy Hook "Truthers"

    I always thought it was a conspiracy. Mindcontrol + drugs=politically expedient "incident". Luckily it backfired somewhat.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by fakename on Wed, Jan 16 2013
  • Re: The Posy Hypnotic Chemical Lobotomy thesis

    I tend to believe that people can be influenced by frequencies of any sort (like the # of frames broadcast by a TV). Music of the spheres. http://ray.tomes.biz/alex.htm I just glanced over this link and I think it may, depending on how this thread goes, prove to be a conversation starter.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by fakename on Sun, Jan 13 2013
  • Unintended Consequences: A Brain Teaser thread?

    I'm wondering if there should be a thread where anyone can imagine scenarios where a law backfires. I think we could learn a lot about these events and that we could develop the habits needed to sniff-out or visualize how a specific measure would backfire. I think this has practical application regarding debates. Many times, it's hard to find
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by fakename on Sun, Jan 13 2013
  • Re: The Posy Hypnotic Chemical Lobotomy thesis

    Noveske was not a shooter. He was a weapons manufacturer that recently died. That was his last post on Facebook, which has lead some to believe there was foul play involved in his death. Well, that solves that problem.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by fakename on Sun, Jan 13 2013
Page 5 of 100 (996 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options