  • Re: Don't buy Bitcoins (video)

    [quote user="bitbutter"]Nevermind the fluctuations in price, they're irrelevant to your attempts to shown that bitcoins cannot be money. Focus on that, you have all your work ahead of you.[/quote] I'm gonna say this again. Can I buy my stuff from Amazon or Ebay with bitcoins? If the answer is NO, then I have NO interest in it. Nor
    Posted to General (Forum) by ladyattis on Mon, Aug 8 2011
  • Re: Debating Science isn't any better

    [quote user="Sieben"]I see a difference between application and truth. Knowing how to accomplish a goal doesn't require you to have a philosophy.[/quote] It is if you want to be called a scientist. Process and result comes to form the basis of method(s). Knowing how one influences the other is philosophy. And knowing how to make the influences
    Posted to General (Forum) by ladyattis on Mon, Aug 8 2011
  • Re: Debating Science isn't any better

    Also, sorry for being short with my responses, I'm busy doing other stuff. Nothing personal.
    Posted to General (Forum) by ladyattis on Mon, Aug 8 2011
  • Re: Debating Science isn't any better

    [quote user="Sieben"]I meet both of these requirements.[/quote] How? Explain, please. [quote user="Sieben"]Yes you are. First you talk about "truth" and then later in the paragraph you shift to "practicality". Which one is it? [/quote] I see no difference between truth and its application. Maybe you do. [quote
    Posted to General (Forum) by ladyattis on Mon, Aug 8 2011
  • Re: Debating Science isn't any better

    [quote user="Sieben"]According to your interpretation there can be no empirical science of man whatsoever because "what if black swan"?[/quote] No you can have empiricism, but you have to accept that there's no absolute guarantees to its success. And to deny alternative methods is to invite blind faith to control the discovery
    Posted to General (Forum) by ladyattis on Mon, Aug 8 2011
  • Re: Debating Science isn't any better

    [quote user="Sieben"]If my theory is that the study is representative of a lot of (not necessarily all) people, then no its not wrong just because of black[/quote] Um... Do you realize you just went against the very scientific method you're trying to protect? Any case which falsifies the theory means the theory is WRONG according the modern
    Posted to General (Forum) by ladyattis on Mon, Aug 8 2011
  • Re: Debating Science isn't any better

    [quote user="Sieben"]True. But they are an *attempt* to deal with the problem of low sample sizes. And the idea that you can improve study accuracy by increasing sample sizes also holds statistical water.[/quote] Well, that's why it's better to do it with one study than many. Ever read about the funny meta-analysis of 35k people using
    Posted to General (Forum) by ladyattis on Sun, Aug 7 2011
  • Re: Debating Science isn't any better

    [quote user="Sieben"]This is correct. But it only discredits individual studies, not the actual philosophy of controlled studies. Metastudies are an attempt to deal with this (I listed a couple).[/quote] Nope, meta-analysis is even softer than individual studies. You have to be careful which studies you combine otherwise, you'll get some
    Posted to General (Forum) by ladyattis on Sun, Aug 7 2011
  • Re: Debating Science isn't any better

    "Well the way I interpreted controlled studies is just that the results are statistically likely in the rest of the population. That's not really a "hard" universalization. Its also not science per se but the scientific method, which I recognize is non sequitur. It just has statistical plausibility. Whether you think statistics is
    Posted to General (Forum) by ladyattis on Sun, Aug 7 2011
  • Re: "NHS among developed world's most efficient health systems, says study"

    Faulty article is faulty.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ladyattis on Sun, Aug 7 2011
Page 4 of 74 (740 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options