  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]What exactly do you mean by this? That powerful companies will always go to the state for subsidies and protection and politicians will always protect and subsidize certain industries to further their agendas? If so, the ideal solution seems to me to be the removal of the state.[/quote] What I mean is that, over time, companies will tend to utilize
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    I absolutely agree that anti-trust laws can be abused and totally agree that regulatory agencies are abusive as well. Am I right in assuming that you all agree with my contention that it's inevitable for economic and political power to collude in any system? Given that, I see anti-trust laws as the lesser of two evils. It at least creates an avenue
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    Ecoli, Care to chime in on what you think? You have a few different schools of thought presented to you. I believe that any coercive action (funny how people try to redefine that word) that is used to quell competition does nothing to enhance productivity or innovation. An entity (Microsoft in this case) is expending resources not towards providing
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]But your reply had nothing to do with Anti-trust laws.[/quote] No kidding. I've let you guys take this off into too many tangents. We can bicker about IP laws and such but I still submit this question: Did Microsoft's coercive actions promote productivity and innovation in the market or hinder them?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]A business failure is not the same thing as violence. Obviously.[/quote] In the MS vs. Dell example a business failure would mean that Dell gave in rather than escalated. An escalatioin would be something like Dell continues to sell copies of Windows in defiance to MS and the escalation would continue from there. Eventually, some law will be
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    The "market" I'm observing is the 99% that still chooses to spend more money for a Mac or PC, even though RedHat and Open Office (for example) are available to them for a lot less. I've used RedHat and many others myself and you're kidding yourself if you think it offers anywhere near the usability or refinement of Vista or OS
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    Again, I'm hearing appeals to idealogical faith than practical application. I propose the same question, as a software company, if I have to negotiate many elaborate contracts with multiple entities (all who'll want different things) before I even start developing said software, will I have more or less incentive to produce software than the
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]No, you're just advocating violence as the answer to all problems.[/quote] Can we leave the red herrings at the door? Every conflict, ultimately escalated, would end in the elimination of at least one of its participants. How about you give some practical examples to back up your arguments?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]No, I don't. A firm can try to replicate them if it likes via contracts and the like.[/quote] Then please answer my questions about software development above. For a software firm to negotiate contracts with every company it wants to do business with (forget individuals -- there goes the entire non-business software market) would create much
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]Dell has a right to use MS products? I had no idea. If there is no right being infringed via coercion, there is nothing to complain about. Dell is having its rights infringed by MS, but not in quite the way you suggest (and no doubt Dell is engaging in its own IP-based rights infringement.)[/quote] I wanted to deal with this as well. What's
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
Page 4 of 5 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | More Search Options