  • Consequentialism, utilitarianism and Ludwig von Mises

    I have a philosophical question here. I know that Mises was a consequentialist, he even described himself as an utilitarian. But he didn't hold the idea that subjective preferences could be compared between different individuals, so I don't get why he was an utilitarian (I would classify him as a consequentialist, though). Then, I noticed that
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Sun, Nov 22 2009
  • Re: Distinction between "saving" and "investing"

    [quote user="Prashanth Perumal"] Money that is hoarded is not investment. [/quote] Why not? It's postponed consumption anyway. It has the effect of raising the purchasing power of money, also. [quote user="Prashanth Perumal"] Saving is only that abstained spending which is directed into investments. So, even consumer loans are
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Sep 21 2009
  • Re: Distinction between "saving" and "investing"

    I think what Rothbard said is that every time you are postponing consumption, you're saving (and that includes hoarding money and investing). This is this way because those are different ways of having money at your disposal in the future. If you own money to someone who will consume it, it's still saving, as you've already postponed consumption
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Sep 21 2009
  • Re: What will happen with anarchy?

    [quote user="laminustacitus"] [quote user="Spideynw"] [quote user="laminustacitus"]Anarchy is nothing but a stateless society; a society where people desire to comply with the state, but there is no state to comply with is, by definition, still in a state of anarchy. [/quote] Somalia has competing governments. It is not
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Sep 21 2009
  • Re: The Divarch experiment

    [quote user="GilesStratton"] [quote user="ivanfoofoo"]What's not true about a market being free or not?[/quote] Sure, you can make a theoretical divide between the two. What matters, however, is that in reality all markets are only free to a certain extent. What matters is finding that arrangement that works best. [/quote] With
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Sep 21 2009
  • Re: The Divarch experiment

    [quote user="GilesStratton"] [quote user="liberty student"] So either your system is a free market or it isn't. And if it itsn't, then it's just a matter of semantics how much better it is than what we have. [/quote] That's just clearly not true. [/quote] What's not true about a market being free or not?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Sep 21 2009
  • Re: Which Language?

    [quote user="Daniel"] [quote user="GilesStratton"] Portuguese. [/quote] Brazilian Portuguese or Portuguese Portuguese? [/quote] Any difference between the two?
    Posted to General (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Sep 21 2009
  • Re: Private Property and abuse.

    [quote user="Democracy for Breakfast"] If you allow someone complete ownership of the property, mostly with corporations they will deplete all of its resources and abuse it until nothing is left of it, causing environmental damage, and for the property to be worthless. [/quote] That's completely the way government and governmental/private
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Sep 21 2009
  • Re: The Divarch experiment

    [quote user="liberty student"] [quote user="TelfordUS"]I believe a self-reliant free market is the best, but it's not like everyone agrees with me; some believe in collectivism, be it libertarian or fascist. My proposed system is supposed to satisfy both statists, anarchists, and all in between. [/quote] That's called a free
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Sep 21 2009
  • Re: What would be a libertarian/anarchistic solution to environmental problems?

    Giles, what that article doesn't consider, is that nowadays many resources are misallocated, due to the socialization of most natural resources (land, air, water). We could conclude that the prices of polluting goods are lower that they would be, ceteris paribus, in a private-property driven world. What government don't realize is that they
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Sep 21 2009
Page 2 of 30 (300 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options