  • Re: Privatization of public water infrastructure

    The question here is not if the market is a perfect solution to the problem. The question here is whether, given the market is not perfect, is it better or worse than other alternatives in their way to get to the expected results. Is justified a government, or its property of the service by it because of the imperfectness of the market?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Dec 29 2008
  • Re: Privatization of public water infrastructure

    Water and sewer systems are what is commonly known as natural monopolies, that is, competition is extremely difficult due to the nature of the service they provide. They act over a given territory, but people always have the freedom to change the place they live. In fact, when an individual chooses a place to live, he always takes into consideration
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Dec 29 2008
  • Re: Coercion and the free rider problem

    Given that, and extending that logic, we can assume that taxes are a compulsory payment in the name of freedom, protected in this case by the government.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Dec 29 2008
  • Re: Public places: profit-oriented?

    I suppose that parks and beaches will exist in a pure market environment, with volutary contributions made by private enterprises or individuals. This would also serve as a means of advertisement for them, am I right?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Dec 29 2008
  • Public places: profit-oriented?

    In a market system, every single enterprise is profit-oriented. They will only exist as long as people pay for the services it provides. How would public places (private in a market anachist society, which are public nowadays) subsist? People would have to pay for beaches, parks and libraries? I understand the reason why someone should have to pay for
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Mon, Dec 29 2008
  • Re: Coercion and the free rider problem

    I was just wondering how would individuals feel the necessity to pay for those services that benefits everyone in that society. Free riding is not a problem when there are few individuals, but there are many that know that they can get advantage of the service which is being paid by everyone else, without having to contribute themselves. This is actually
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Sun, Dec 28 2008
  • Re: Coercion and the free rider problem

    That is not a solution. Suppose a person lives in that gated community and one day he decides that is not worth paying for the protection service any more.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Sun, Dec 28 2008
  • Re: Coercion and the free rider problem

    Well, according to that quotation from Rothbard, I can assume that society should leave the free rider get all the advantages without paying? I believe that position would be viable if there are only a few free riders in a, lets say, neighbourhood, but there can be so many that the service will never be implemented at all. Here I am not talking about

    Even if they ignore you when **** goes down, they are taking advantage. Suppose you live in a neighbourhood where they contract several private officers. After that action, that neighbourhood will be much more safe. The probability of a crime in that neighbourhood will drop, lets say, to almost zero. That client took advantage of the situation.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Sun, Dec 28 2008
  • Coercion and the free rider problem

    I wonder how to prevent free riding from taking place in a market anarchist society. Given coercion is immoral, an individual should not be obliged to pay for a given service, but given the nature of police service, military defense and even roads, that individual is going to take advantage anyway. This justifies the use of coertion in certain cases
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ivanfoofoo on Sun, Dec 28 2008
Page 30 of 30 (300 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 | More Search Options