Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

James M. Buchanan, Thoughts?

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan Posted: Fri, Nov 27 2009 11:23 AM

I recently saw that www.libertyfund.org sells a complete collected works collection of his work here:

http://libertyfund.org/details.asp?displayID=1598

I know nothing about James M. Buchanan besides that he was one of the central figures in the school of economics "Public Choice", about which I also know nothing.

Is his work worth reading? If so, which volume(s) represent(s) his most important or worthwhile work or contributions to economics?

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 850
Points 13,615

He has some interesting articles, but - as far as my opinion goes - he repeats a lot, which tends to be annoying after a while.

His books can be interesting, if you are interested in a more fundamental approach to the literature. I would recommend not to buy them; but first try to read some of it from your university library or something.

'The Limits of Liberty' & 'cost and choice' are (imo) the most interesting 2. (This is because I disagree with his emphasis on 'constitutinalism' and stuff; which is a big part of his work.)

The state is not the enemy. The idea of the state is. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS