Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Market and the production of Mises Media

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 116
Points 2,120
Attackdonkey Posted: Tue, Mar 16 2010 3:31 AM

The Mises Institute is now putting out free market and libertarian literature in an audio format at a breakneck pace. Much more that what is usually expected from a non profit organization. It was through one of these works Human Action, that I began to think about how production is directed by the consumer. That that process where the consumers have the ultimate and last word in regard to what is produced, in what quality and quantity, and how, is the most efficient. 

Of course being a non profit organization, this institution as well as all other non profit institutions are bound to lag behind to some degree, and of course this is okay because the consumer pays nothing. 

But I speculate that it might yet do better. Surely those who consume the audio books, are the same who make monetary donations, is there no way that we could tie the donations to the recording of audio books? How is it to be determined what books will be read next, and in what order? 

Would it be possible to somehow allow friends of the institute to make pledges of an amount of money to be donated to the institute when a work has been recorded? This wouldn't exactly be a price, but I think it would give the producers some information as to what the "consumers" want. 

Everything you needed to know to be a libertarian you learned in Kindergarten. Keep your hands to yourself, and don't play with other people's toys without their consent. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 328
Points 5,650

https://mises.org/donate.aspx

When you make a donation, you can specify what that donation should be designated towards.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Mar 16 2010 5:21 PM

Yeah, you can be pretty specific.

Designate my contribution to
(select choice)
or select "Other" and specify below
(fill in blank)

The question is: how much consideration do they put into your "Other" choice?  If not all of Leonard Read's works are in print, I'd like to see that happen.  I'll specify that when I donate.

Also, this is probably a question that won't be answered seriously (because it's not), but what if we donated an amount of money in the contribution of becoming MVP of the month? Big Smile

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Bert:
what if we donated an amount of money in the contribution of becoming MVP of the month? Big Smile

This post should clinch the award with ease

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS