Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Looking for an Austrian take on the Asian Financial Crisis

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
46 Posts
Points 770
Duke posted on Sun, May 29 2011 11:37 AM

I'm having a bit of trouble searching for perspectives on the causes (and the general history) of the Asian financial crisis. I'm especially interested in Korea since I live there, but understanding it as a whole is important too. Are there any articles on Mises.org or even a book or pdf written by someone with an Austrian perspective that have eluded my search?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Try this.  That's where I usually start and it works for me.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
46 Posts
Points 770
Duke replied on Sun, May 29 2011 8:29 PM

Oh, really, you big surely ass? In what part of that Google search did you find any good answers? The first results are either this very thread, or another thread on this same forum asking the same question with zero replies. Is it so hard to actually follow up and press "search"? And couldn't even a simpleton figure out, that in a topic where I said that articles have "eluded my searches," Google would have been one of the first places I searched? I didn't search for articles under my bed or in the the pantry.

I do appreciate your surelyness though. It's great to have such a warm community always willing to help eachother. I'm sure fellow Austrians are more than willing to pose questions such as these in such a welcoming environment. 

Top 200 Contributor
Male
429 Posts
Points 7,400

Woah there.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Wow.

Well it's nice to know who we're dealing with.  Perhaps if you looked a little farther down the list...say this article, which is filled with plenty of links to even more sources, and was number 5 on that Google page.  This one, while it may not be focused entirely on the Asian crisis, does bring it into it's overall theory and speak on it a bit.  It was number 4 on the page.  This one was also there on the first page, and contains a link to "Links to several unpublished essays of mine on various subjects, including the Asian Financial Crisis".

And again we're talking about the first page of results.  Did you even look at them?  Or did you just notice this thread on there in the list and decide to come back and run your mouth?  If you're going to respond with that kind of attitude, I'm not sure exactly what kind of help you expect to get.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
46 Posts
Points 770
Duke replied on Mon, May 30 2011 4:06 AM

"Perhaps if you looked a little farther down the list...say this article, which is filled with plenty of links to even more sources, and was number 5 on that Google page.  "

No John. I read that article when I had been searching (you obviously didn't). It is not a "source" on the Asian financial crisis. And the citations are as much a joke as your life is. You obviously didn't check them, yet you're intent on trying to prove to me that there is an abundance of information out there. So you're backracking. 

Seriously look at the citations. He doesn't cite any data about the Asian financial crisis (for empirical proof that Korea expanded credit he cites Mises, lol).

This one, while it may not be focused entirely on the Asian crisis, does bring it into it's overall theory and speak on it a bit.

Oh wow, great thanks! An article not on the Asian financial crisis! Oh but it helps because the article mentions Asia a couple times! That will really help my understanding of the crisis. Or wait, maybe you're just grasping at straws to try and appear as if you were actually being "helpful" in your rude response to my request. By the way John, I've read the article in the past (which mentions the crisis in passing and only in reference to skyscrapers being built).

You don't have anything useful to say and have no information to provide, so just don't tune into a thread next time and act all belligerant when someone asks a question. 

"This one was also there on the first page, and contains a link to "Links to several unpublished essays of mine on various subjects, including the Asian Financial Crisis"."

After searching around this fellows old, unupdated site for a while I tought I found some articles of interest, but a few were only a paragraph long despite the good titles. They weren't merely on the Google search result link (for observers of this thread). The thread titles indicate nothing on Korea however there a couple short articles that may offer a good starting point. (Update: Upon reading a couple, the author only repeats some simplified ABCT theory but offers no mention of any specific event or government actions that brought it on anywhere in Asia or any time period. The articles could have been written about any country at any time. Directing me to such an article is as good as saying "Go read Human Action and gather data about Asian economic history and think for a while").

In any event, the proper, welcoming approach that a decent human being would take would be to link someone else to these articles (if you knew that they were good) rather than admonishing them for not having searched Google (when they did). But you haven't read the articles, and you don't know anything about the financial crisis. You just wanted to come into this thread and put someone down. I guess this is the standard way you welcome people into the Austrian community.

Not Ranked
46 Posts
Points 770
Duke replied on Mon, May 30 2011 4:28 AM

Since there isn't an article out there, I might write one later after picking up some books on the history of the crisis.

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Duke:
In any event, the proper, welcoming approach that a decent human being would take would be to link someone else to these articles (if you knew that they were good) rather than admonishing them for not having searched Google (when they did).  But you haven't read the articles, and you don't know anything about the financial crisis. You just wanted to come into this thread and put someone down. I guess this is the standard way you welcome people into the Austrian community.

Admonish?  Wow. 

You have a very odd concept of how to present yourself.  And you keep saying things like that final sentence as if I were cross to you in any way...as if to try and make me feel guilty for alienating some potential "new recruit" to the "Austrian community".  First of all it was you who came with a chip on your shoulder and decided to spend an entire post attacking the first person who actually responded to your thread.  And you have only escalated the negative tone and personal attacks, yet it is somehow me who is supposed to feel bad for the way I've represented "the Austrian community".  Honestly, if this is the way you represent yourself, I don't know of any upstanding community that would want your kind of support or affiliation.

Duke:
Since there isn't an article out there, I might write one later after picking up some books on the history of the crisis.

Have fun with that.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

John James:

Try this.  That's where I usually start and it works for me.

Duke over-reacted, but there was really no call for this.  He wasn't asking for a factoid that would necessarily be easy to find, and he said at the outset that he had been searching.  So, on both sides, let's try not to be so testy.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

I wasn't trying to be testy.  Honestly not everyone thinks to put "mises" in with their search.  I offered that tip to someone who had been around these forums a hell of a lot longer than this charmer and that user genuinely thanked me and said it would probably come in handy.  Something tells me this poster here would find something to explode about regardless of how anyone responded.

Not Ranked
Male
72 Posts
Points 840
Paul replied on Mon, May 30 2011 8:48 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Asian-Storm-Economic-Crisis-Examined/dp/0804832358

The guy has a rather free-market perspective against currency devaluation and cronyism, and recommends the readings of Hayek in the last chapter or so. As for ABCT itself, it is not really integrated in his analyses.

Top 150 Contributor
659 Posts
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Mon, May 30 2011 9:06 PM

The let me google that for you link used by John said, ‘Was that so hard?’ suggesting to Duke that Duke was either too lazy, ignorant, stupid, or incompetent to do a basic search. I understand why Duke became angry. Maybe John forget that ‘Was that so hard’ message was in the let me google that for you link and thus they argued back-and-forth about who was being nice and helpful. I side with Duke on this. John, intentionally or not, insulted Duke and the thread became unpleasant.

Top 500 Contributor
274 Posts
Points 5,675

Yeah, I am going to have to agree on that. I mean, if I asked a question and received a link to Google as a reply, it implies that the answer is "Use Google you 'tard", as if I hadn't already tried.

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

I see, so because the link I used asked the question "was that so hard", this user was justified in pulling out one of the most openly belligerent tones I've read on this forum and personally insulting me.  Got it.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
743 Posts
Points 11,795

That link you provided was meant to show people that they're being lazy, its very very common to see it used it that way. If you didn't know that before, you know now.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS