Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The "Fair" Tax Threat

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 75
Points 1,275
allixpeeke Posted: Mon, Nov 26 2007 3:28 AM

Over a year ago, I made the argument that a massive sales tax would cause demand for R&D to drop, leaving society with a lower standard of living than they would otherwise have.  This seems logical to me, but there's always the possibility that I'm failing to look at this from all angles.

What say ye?

Yours, Alex Peak “I’m very optimistic about the future of free-market capitalism. I’m not optimistic about the future of stat[ist] capitalism—or rather, I am optimistic, because I think it will eventually come to an end.” – Murray N. Rothbard, “A Future of Peace and Capitalism,” 1973
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

Doesn't sound too fair to me.

Someone who spends 100% of their income on consumables would be taxed much higher, as a percentage of their income, than someone who spends 50 percent.

Who spends the largest percentage, low wage workers. Who spends the least, the rich.

I would think this would lead to a higher demand for R&D though, businesses would have more incentive to increase efficiency and quality to give people more 'bang for their buck' in order to entice them to part with their untaxed income in exchange for taxed consumer goods. Just like under our current system except for the 'untaxed income' bit.

If you want to be 'fair' about it, make governments *earn* their income through productive means instead of resorting to taxation in the first place.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 235
Thorgold replied on Mon, Nov 26 2007 1:20 PM

Anonymous Coward:

Someone who spends 100% of their income on consumables would be taxed much higher, as a percentage of their income, than someone who spends 50 percent.

Who spends the largest percentage, low wage workers. Who spends the least, the rich.

This would mean that you want to tax "rich" at at least the same percentage rate as you would "poor" ? Have you considered that at say 50% of their income, rich would pay several times more toward common needs than poor at 100% of their income being taxed? If so, then is your ultimate goal to instill similar pain, no matter what the income level? 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

Thorgold:
This would mean that you want to tax "rich" at at least the same percentage rate as you would "poor" ? Have you considered that at say 50% of their income, rich would pay several times more toward common needs than poor at 100% of their income being taxed? If so, then is your ultimate goal to instill similar pain, no matter what the income level? 

Nope, I was merely pointing out it isn't 'fair'. What's good for one group is bad for another is the general rule when it comes to wealth redistribution.

I think the only way to be truly fair about the whole thing is to tax everyone equally at 0% and have the government make money the old fashioned way. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to a flat tax and a constitutional amendment that the government *has* to stay within their budget -- also none of this monetizing debt and inflationary taxation they are so fond of. Assuming of course that taxes are a necessary evil and there simply wasn't any way for them to raise money other than a payroll tax but that's highly doubtful.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator

As Hoppe as said, if politicians want money, they can go around begging for it, like Kings used to.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 184
Points 3,690

Anonymous Coward:

No. The bottom quintile pays 40%. The top quintile pays 70%. http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/22694.html

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

libertarian:
No. The bottom quintile pays 40%. The top quintile pays 70%. http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/22694.html

Huh?

That's not the 'Fair Tax'... 

Not Ranked
Posts 369
Points 7,175
baxter replied on Mon, Nov 26 2007 7:48 PM

>a massive sales tax would cause demand for R&D to drop

Huh? I don't see the cause and effect here at all. If the government spends the massively increased sales tax on R&D, then quite possibly the R&D will rise.Maybe investment in R&D labor services will suddenly be more attractive because the purchase of capital items such as computers or machines is now taxed too heavily.

> leaving society with a lower standard of living than they would otherwise have.

Perhaps. No R&D, and technology never progresses. Spend 100% of our money on R&D, and everyone starves to death. It seems there is an optimal level. But do you presume to know what the optimal level is? How can you be a better judge, posting on some website, than the entrepeneurial managers who are risking their own money in their striving to serve consumers as best as possible?

What if your society is full of Luddites, who consider R&D to be abhorrent. For example, they despise research into stem cells from aborted foetuses. Are you improving their standard of living by increasing the amount of R&D in this area? Or harming it?

I have a hard time believing that one kind of huge distortion in the economy (fair tax) is going to be significantly better than another (income tax), when the damage done by them is not precisely calculable.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
Drab H Tor replied on Mon, Nov 26 2007 11:23 PM

A fair tax is a theoretical impossibility. Twas Calhoun who first pointed it out, I believe. Often echoed by Rothbard.

Any tax must have the effect of creating two distinct classes of people - the net tax payers, and the net tax consumers. These groups have opposite interests at stake, the tax payers being harmed by a tax increase, the tax consumers benefitting from it. 

Even if you could have a fair tax, what a collosal waste of effort it would be! To tax everyone, and then distribute the benefits so that eveyone was benefitted in proportion to the tax paid, why bother taxing at all? Clearly we can see that the entire purpose of taxing is to redistribute wealth in some way. We must forget about a "fair" tax. No such thing. 

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 235
Thorgold replied on Tue, Nov 27 2007 12:12 AM

The above post by"Drab H Thor" is an excellent point on taxes in general. 

I think that when contemplating any taxation scheme it would be useful to keep this in mind:

1) The reason for taxation as it pertains to FIAT money system has nothing to do with collecting funds for any purpose whatsoever. The taxes in FIAT are collected entirely to keep FIAT in use. If we were not taxed, we would then opted to use other currency. By having to pay taxes in say, USD exclusively, even a gold dealer has to buy some USD to pay taxes. G-men won't accept gold.

Any argument that attempts to support taxation use as a means for funding falls flat on it's face, because the funds could simply be created into existence not changing anything about FIAT money system in principal.

2) Because of the above (1), the only discussion regarding tax use for funding can possibly make sense in a system that cannot create money out of thin air, which is why it might have a *need* for funds. Only then, funds truely need to be raised. Only then we can start looking at the goals of such fundraisings, and to determine if those goals are valid (paying for the president's office expences) or not (taxing Peter to pay Paul).

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 75
Points 1,275

In case I was being unclear, when I said "this seems logical to me," I did not mean that the "Fair" Tax seemed logical to me, but rather that the argument I had posed against the tax seemed logical.

I originally came up with this argument a year ago.  Here's a clip of what I had written:

"With huge sales taxes (and I have heard FairTax proponents call for taxes up to 35 or 40%), people are more likely to buy cheap imitation products, and thus producers will be less likely to put money into the R&D of better-quality products. This will hinder progress and, in the long-run, hurt our standard of living."

Yours, Alex Peak “I’m very optimistic about the future of free-market capitalism. I’m not optimistic about the future of stat[ist] capitalism—or rather, I am optimistic, because I think it will eventually come to an end.” – Murray N. Rothbard, “A Future of Peace and Capitalism,” 1973
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 850
allixpeeke:

Over a year ago, I made the argument that a massive sales tax would cause demand for R&D to drop, leaving society with a lower standard of living than they would otherwise have.  This seems logical to me, but there's always the possibility that I'm failing to look at this from all angles.

What say ye?

I see where you are going in respects to people (mostly businesses) will be taxed in some purchases that either translate into a loss, or do not generate profit at all. Forcing the budget requirements to tighten, and possibly forcing businesses that rely on mass sales to overall purchase less. The thing is, there should, and would be a debate and decision made upon corporations or any type of business for that matter having rights of a citizen. It is of my personal belief that businesses do not have rights of citizens. Other factors to consider are the income effect of a consumption tax, as well as monetary policy. In a theoretical situation, an economy that is experiencing rapid inflation (hyperinflation) is in many ways forcing people to be constantly making purchases. Adding a consumption tax into the equation would most likely increase the tax revenue early on and level off after inflationary effects eventually drain the efficiency of its citizens. Which leads me to believe that the right amount of inflation would be helpful (in tax revenue intake) to an economy that utilizes a consumption tax. Inflation high enough to increase the number of purchases, and low enough to keep people from freaking out and being human, would be beneficial for a consumption tax. Which is why the power to create money shouldnt be instilled in a person, group, or cabinet. As for a person paying 100% of their income into consumption vs a person only paying 50%: If a person who has a family of 4 and actually makes and takes home the supposed $50,000 / year, and pays a consumption tax of (going quite high here) of 10%, they will at most purchase $50,000 worth of goods and services etc... Meaning, they will at most be taxed 10% or 5,000. Currently, a person who makes the same amount of money takes home between 33-38 thousand. Some things that would have to be considered are taxes for investment, and taxes on durable vs non durable goods and services. Obvisiously i think this is a superior form of taxation. But i also like the idea presented by Jason Dean in which states are free to decide their method of taxation appropriated by state. Therefore, I am making a hypothesis that states that allow a consumption tax will be better off economically than states that have high taxes on income. Such states would most likely involve entitlement programs. Which would be good in states such as Florida, Arizona, etc..., but issues still arise. How would citizenship be determined, and how would that effect the distribution of entitlement programs in ones state vs moving to another state. Businesses should still be taxed the same throughout states only because they are not citizens, only wealth creation instruments. Regardless, i see no logical way a consumption tax would discourage R&D due to the fact that it allows for more available income to everyone involved.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Thu, Nov 29 2007 2:25 AM

You don't need to go any further than Europe to see what a massive sales tax will do: for example Britain has a 17.5% VAT, Germany 19% (more on this later), Italy 20%, Denmark 25%, Finland 21%. Of course some goods (arbitrally chosen) are subject to different, lower VAT brackets.

For the average buyer this is another tax in top of all the others but it's usually cheerfully accepted because "it's used to give us better hospitals and to help the needy".

But let's get back to the R&D subject. How do European industries get around this problem? Three possible ways: first (and most common) they lobby to have as many R&D activities as possible obtain tax-exempt (or tax-deducible) state. Governments are usually happy to oblige, and perhaps will even provide additional fundings for "selected programs" at taxpayers' expenses. The recent VAT hike in Germany (from 16 to 19%) was motivated among other things as a desire to make the German industry more competitive abroad by giving tax breaks for selected activities, research funds etc. Second: they relocate their R&D facilities where taxes are lower. European governments are starting to notice a so called "brains escape", meaning the most gifted and talented researchers tend to head where their work is most needed and where there are generous employers willing to pay good salaries. To give you an example my neighbours's oldest son emigrated to the US to work as a medical researcher for a private firm: he earns much more there than here (despite the plummeting dollar), he pays less taxes, he has better carreer options etc. I bet his company's products will be sold in Europe as well. Third: they "muddle through". Most small firms have little or no access to government funding and cannot afford a true R&D department, even with tax breaks. So they have to make do with what they have available: people working extra hours (usually for free) to come up with a working prototype, fresh university graduates pressed into service with minimal wages etc.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS