Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

questions about austrian economics

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 955
Peter Griffin Posted: Fri, Jul 25 2008 2:29 PM

I just started studying Austrian economics and I'm not really sure the correct answer for this one..

what is the ultimate starting point of Praxeology?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 478
Points 9,180

I haven't read it but in Human Action doesn't Mises say something simple like 'humans act'? Is this what you mean by starting point?

Austrians do it a priori

Irish Liberty Forum 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 573
Points 9,410
David Z replied on Fri, Jul 25 2008 4:41 PM

MatthewWilliam:

I haven't read it but in Human Action doesn't Mises say something simple like 'humans act'? Is this what you mean by starting point?

That's the jist of it, yeah.  Humans act, and it is generally assumed that action is purposeful.

============================

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 955

david_z:

MatthewWilliam:

That's the jist of it, yeah.  Humans act, and it is generally assumed that action is purposeful.

ok, so if the ultimate starting point of Praxeology is HUMAN ACTION, then

what is the subject matter of economics?

is it also correct to say that the answer for this one is also HUMAN ACTION/PRAXEOLOGY?

if not, then what's the correct answer?

I'm asking this because my book asked those questions in the same page about the same topic

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 573
Points 9,410
David Z replied on Fri, Jul 25 2008 7:29 PM

Peter Griffin:

is it also correct to say that the answer for this one is also HUMAN ACTION/PRAXEOLOGY?

Depends what sort of book you're reading... If you're taking a standard micro/macro course and you shout out "Praxeology!" I'd be quite surprised if the professor even knew the meaning of the word.

The subject matter of economics is human action in the face of scarcity. Since all goods and services are scarce, man must choose how best to allocate them among his infinite number of wants and needs. Economics is the study of human action as it pertains to scarcity.

============================

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 955

david_z:

Peter Griffin:

Depends what sort of book you're reading... If you're taking a standard micro/macro course and you shout out "Praxeology!" I'd be quite surprised if the professor even knew the meaning of the word.

The subject matter of economics is human action in the face of scarcity. Since all goods and services are scarce, man must choose how best to allocate them among his infinite number of wants and needs. Economics is the study of human action as it pertains to scarcity.

I'm doing the 52 week home study course in Austrian Economics that I bought from Mises.org and there are books assigned for this topic....

so basically, both questions have the same answer

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 86
Points 1,395
ayrnieu replied on Sat, Jul 26 2008 1:26 AM
Peter Griffin:
See Kirzner's The Economic Point of View.
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 435

The foundations upon which Austrians school is based are quite theoretical.

The statement 'Humans Act' is what's called a 'synthetic apriori axion.'

It is called 'synthetic' because you cannot use formal logic to prove it.

It is called 'a priori' because it cannot be proved using observation.

When you look at somebody going aboput their day, one cannot determine whether they are actually making choices with an understanding of 'cause and effect' because to act you must chose between your limited means to achieve the most important one of your infinite ends, or whther it is a deterministic and you are simply a drone/computer that runs on a program and essentially has free will.

I'll complete this explanation tomorrow without the spelling mistakes

[First post, thought I'd try and pretend to know what I'm talking about]

http://irishliberty.wordpress.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 955

Retrolives:

When you look at somebody going aboput their day, one cannot determine whether they are actually making choices with an understanding of 'cause and effect' because to act you must chose between your limited means to achieve the most important one of your infinite ends, or whther it is a deterministic and you are simply a drone/computer that runs on a program and essentially has free will.

yes, please explain more,

what you just described is the exact same topic I'm reading right now!

the way I understand a "synthetic a priori" is simply a kind of proposition that can be established as true even if formal logic is not enough, but necesary,and using observation to prove it is unnecessary.

so is it correct to say that the action axiom is true because it is SELF EVIDENT?

or did mises have a different explanation to how we know the action axiom is true?

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 955

Peter Griffin:

Retrolives:

yes, please explain more,

what you just described is the exact same topic I'm reading right now!

the way I understand a "synthetic a priori" is simply a kind of proposition that can be established as true even if formal logic is not enough, but necesary,and using observation to prove it is unnecessary.

so is it correct to say that the action axiom is true because it is SELF EVIDENT?

or did mises have a different explanation to how we know the action axiom is true?

bump

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Deny the action axiom and reflect upon what happens. The denial is an action, and thus one is engaged in a performative contradiction. Such a truth is a necessary truth, one which cannot be denied without the denial descending into absurdity. Self-evidence may be what one labels this, but incontestable axiom I think is a better term for it.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 955

Jon Irenicus:

Deny the action axiom and reflect upon what happens. The denial is an action, and thus one is engaged in a performative contradiction. Such a truth is a necessary truth, one which cannot be denied without the denial descending into absurdity. Self-evidence may be what one labels this, but incontestable axiom I think is a better term for it.

-Jon

so that means the action axiom is self evident,

is that right?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I find the term "self-evident" to be nebulous. But yes, as the term is commonly evoked, it refers to that.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Not Ranked
Posts 86
Points 1,395
ayrnieu replied on Sat, Jul 26 2008 10:21 PM
Peter Griffin:
so that means the action axiom is self evident
"Logically unassailable" captures it.
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
Points 5

"The starting point of praxeology is not a choice of axioms and a decision about methods of procedure, but reflection about the essence of action."

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS