Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Inquires on the following

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 185
Cannae posted on Wed, Jul 25 2012 7:19 PM

Good evening to all,

The below have randomly popped up through my mind reading certain threads. Could you give me your belief of the following and/or why you agree/disagree

Government money creation vs. Bank money creation; The accuracy of predicting supply/demand for businesses in a capitalist economy;  legality of property taxes; Barter during inflation; Cantillon effect; the liquidity demand for money; accrediting money and credit contracts; history of money before taxes; law of supply and demand; a relation between tax rates and the purchasing power of money; money supply and inflation. If neccessary, direct me to thread links.

Warm Regards,

Matt

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

Perhaps you could ask a specific question to make it easier for us?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
421 Posts
Points 7,165

Yeah, that's an incredibly broad list; maybe you should ask more specific questions on just what it is your looking for in these topics. But I will answer a few.

Bank-created money in a unfettered free market is highly superior to government-created money. Banks would tend to be backed with 100% reserves without the guarantee from government to bail them out. Thus money creation would tend to only be linked to the creation/addition of commodity money to the market. Government-created money is necessarily political. This is not ideal at all. There is incentive for inflation. This is also undesirable. Finally, with government-created money, moral hazards run rampant, distorting the signals and functioning of the market.

As for the accuracy of of business predicting supply/demand in a truly free markets, all I will say is that the ones that do it best will reap the rewards, and the ones that do not, and take poor risks, will suffer the consequences. No moral hazard, and the businesses that best serve the customers will be rewards while the one that do not will lose.

Property taxes are legal, I suppose, but I view them as UNLAWFUL, based on natural rights and libertarian morality (NAP).

The only one worth following is the one who leads... not the one who pulls; for it is not the direction that condemns the puller, it is the rope that he holds.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 185
Cannae replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 11:13 AM

On the bank created money vs. Government created money, is there more demand for one over the other, and how would government money be more inflationary than bank money?

For the other questions, at what rate of inflation would consumers decide to barter? As for this, do you agree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantillon_Effect#Monetary_theory? Why do Austrians believe that people demand money for its liquidity? What is it that brought up taxes after the creation of money? Is there a relation between tax rates and the purchasing power of money? For the theory that an increase in the money supply causes inflation, does this take into account hoarding?

accrediting money and credit contracts

Warm Regards,

Matt

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS