Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

getting rid of the income tax, how is this practical?

This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 410
Sean_M Posted: Tue, Jan 8 2008 1:34 PM

I guess its a Ron Paul question, but a lot of other people are in favor of it as well.  So far, all I've heard Ron Paul and his supporters say is "if you get rid of the income tax, our spending would be the same as 1999 levels, and cutting the military and other extra spending can cut into the deficit".  It sounds nice, but is there any way to measure this specificly?  Our military budget can't be $0.00, and cutting all these federal programs sounnds good on paper, but is probably unrealistic.

Basically, i'm just looking for something that says " defense spending can be this, this and that spending can be this, repayment of the debt can be this- and our federal revenue will be this. It is entirely possible". As of right now, it seems unrealistic.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 184
Points 3,690
Ron Paul on Taxes
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 8
Points 100
Vinnie replied on Wed, Jan 9 2008 10:08 AM

Sean_M:

Basically, i'm just looking for something that says " defense spending can be this, this and that spending can be this, repayment of the debt can be this- and our federal revenue will be this. It is entirely possible". As of right now, it seems unrealistic.

Defense Spending: $0

Other Federal Spending: $0

Repayment of Debt: Default

Total Federal Revenue: $0

That seems pretty realistic to me. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 184
Points 3,690
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/index.html
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

The Federal Budget has grown from 100B in 1960 to about 3000B currently!

Ron Paul points out that the IRS collects one third of the federal revenue from the income tax. 

The other two thirds of federal revenue is equal to the Federal Budget just a few years ago. He suggests that it would be a simple matter to reduce the Federal spending to what it was in the year 2000 and he would eliminate the IRS and not replace the Income Tax with any other kind of tax, not a fair tax, not a flat tax, not a national sales tax!

I presume that he would not only have to get himself elected but enough other supporters would have to inhabit the Congress and Senate as well

But I heard him say that if elected he would not be obliged to enforce unjust laws! I saw him last Sunday in Nashua NH. He spoke well to a very enthusiastic standing room only crowd of admirers.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,511
Points 31,955

galtgulch:

The other two thirds of federal revenue is equal to the Federal Budget just a few years ago. He suggests that it would be a simple matter to reduce the Federal spending to what it was in the year 2000 and he would eliminate the IRS and not replace the Income Tax with any other kind of tax, not a fair tax, not a flat tax, not a national sales tax!

As galtgulch pointed out, it is not the question of finding enough revenue to fund the Federal government, it is a question of conforming the Federal government's expenditures to the revenue that is present.

Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found.

- Edmund Burke

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
galtgulch replied on Sun, Jan 13 2008 11:56 AM

Not to mention conforming to the explicit powers granted to the newly established Federal Government by the original thirteen colonial states, who had just won their independence from a tyrannical foreign monarchy and did not want to create a powerful entity which could enslave or steal from them again. They had experienced the horrors of war, the fraudulence of paper currency, the tyranny of limitless government. For details read the Declaration of Independence remembering that in the original draft by T. Jefferson who had written for the abolishon of slavery which existed in the southern colonies whose representatives' votes were necessary to reach unanimous acceptance and adoption of the Declaration of Independence from England. He had to endure the removal of those 'offensive' paragraphs in order for independence to be achieved.

Now we have the opportunity for a true staunch and proven advocate of the Constitution to be nominated for president in Ron Paul of the Republican Party. It is time for you gentle reader to decide to register as a Republican as I have done so you might cast your precious vote for Ron Paul. Naturally it would also help if you try to become a delegate to the Republican Nominating Convention rather than trust the establishment to vote for Ron Paul on your behalf. Do not trust in them to do that. This is an opportunity for you to fight for your freedom and for the freedom of your family and children without bloodshed but with the casting of a ballot!

Watch Ron Paul on his videos organized at whoisronpaul.name especially those interviews with John Stossel who lets Ron answer questions without interruption.

galt

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS