Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Federal Govt to Police the Internet.... ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
samUwell Posted: Fri, Aug 28 2009 12:44 PM

Bill would give President emergency control over the internet

Internet companies and civil liberties groups were alarmed this spring when a U.S. Senate bill proposed handing the White House the power to disconnect private-sector computers from the Internet.

They're not much happier about a revised version that aides to Sen. Jay Rockefeller, a West Virginia Democrat, have spent months drafting behind closed doors. CNET News has obtained a copy of the 55-page draft of S.773 (excerpt), which still appears to permit the president to seize temporary control of private-sector networks during a so-called cybersecurity emergency.

The new version would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and do what's necessary to respond to the threat. Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license.

its only a matter of time until the new Dictator appoints a "Internet Czar" to being policing forums, blogs and other sites to give equal opportunity to all sides. This has me sick to my stomach.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 12:50 PM

According to the past presidents: We have had an ongoing, I guess the ending is TBD, emergency over terrorism.  So it will be easy to make one up for Cyber stuff and then it is tax and regulate away.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

The world is bigger than America.  By the time America starts aggressively regulating the net, it will no longer be an economic or political superpower.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 1:00 PM

samUwell:
its only a matter of time until the new Dictator appoints a "Internet Czar" to being policing forums, blogs and other sites to give equal opportunity to all sides. This has me sick to my stomach.

Being in IT and seeing how easy it is to get around this here are the reasons why I think internet governance will fail.

Big Brother watching your traffic

Private business's alreayd employ a protocol called VPN tunnels which encrypt the transfer of data through the internet. Not even the ISP can peak inside of these packets and see whats going on. This completly undermines the ability of any ISP to truely snoop on your activity.

Taking it one step further, it's entirely feasible and easily possible for a voluntary community to come together and build an encrypted INTRANET completly internal to the known internet. Internal virtual routers would only route encrypted data. All the government would see are a series of nodes sending out encrypted IP packets.

Additionally, consumer grade routers and products are starting to be shipped with these tools. On top of that, assuming the government bans the use of these protocols you have an entire open-source community that offers platforms to accomplish these things completly free online.

IPSEC SSL-VPN GRE Tunnel

Blocking Consumer\Indinvidual Access

I have heard the argument that the government could restrict your access should you refuse to comply to their standards. Standards which will give them the ability to monitor your data transfer

This is easily refutable with ad-hoc networks. This has already happened in practice where general internet connectivity is limited. Then you could use your encryption technologies to encapsulate your IP packets so that GOV operatives would not be able to snoop in on your communities network without extorting that info from one of your members.

Honestly the government is shooting to high on this one. It's a clear representation of how aarogant they are.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS