Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Was Rothbard an Anarchist?

This post has 43 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 12:22 AM

Nitroadict:

I'd argue he was a panarchist, not an anarchist. 

I'd say panarchy really is anarchy, at least anarcho-capitalism or voluntaryism. Although, from a left-anarchist perspective it definitely isn't anarchy.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Angurse:

Nitroadict:

I'd argue he was a panarchist, not an anarchist. 

I'd say panarchy really is anarchy, at least anarcho-capitalism or voluntaryism. Although, from a left-anarchist perspective it definitely isn't anarchy.

I would disagree that panarchism is strictly anarchism (unless you take Bakunin literally, when he clarifies that anarchism is about abolishing involuntary authority, but most would agree to the meaning of  no archy or no rule at all), but I would agree that panarchism can be a better label to describe "anarcho-capitalism".

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,124
Points 37,405
Angurse replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 10:44 AM

Nitroadict:

I would disagree that panarchism is strictly anarchism (unless you take Bakunin literally, when he clarifies that anarchism is about abolishing involuntary authority, but most would agree to the meaning of  no archy or no rule at all), but I would agree that panarchism can be a better label to describe "anarcho-capitalism".

Exactly.

This is nothing more than the "nonarchy" issue of Rothbard. Ultimately Its still a stateless society, so call it what you want.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 11:19 PM

delete. wrong post. sorry.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS