Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Reading Suggestions

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 145
Pennsuedo Posted: Thu, Sep 27 2007 4:14 PM

I have no background in economics.  I just finished reading "The Mystery of Banking", and I found it eye-opening and enjoyable.  I would like to know more about both general and liberal economics.  Will some of you please suggest what sources I should consider reading?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 53
Points 880
Webster replied on Thu, Sep 27 2007 4:23 PM

I do not know what level you are looking for, but Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics is quite impressive for ground-up books.  It is not from strictly Austrian perspective, but it primarily confines itself to the issues one is likely to see in political debates: foreign trade, price floors and ceilings, and the like (and he always at least comes out on the side of the free market).  

Numberless as the wings of trees are the years of men.
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 300
Gene Callahan's "Economics for Real People" is both entertaining, easy to read and available at no cost to you in the form of PDF from Mises.org. However, at $14 it isn't expensive for a good introduction to the field. I also have Thomas Sowell's Basic and Applied Ecnomics. They are good as well, but I learned more from Callahan.
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 300
And how could I forget "Economics in One Lesson" by Hazlitt. Also at no charge from Mises.org.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
As others here have suggested, Economics for Real People and Sowell's Basic Economics are good starting points. If you are serious about Economics though, I suppose it is best, once one has read some basic texts, to begin with Menger's Principles, then move on to Mises's Human Action and later Rothbard's Man, Economy and State, Hayek's Individualism and Economic Order and perhaps Reisman's Capitalism. Friedman Jr's Price Theory is good if you want to familiarize yourself further with Neoclassical econ.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,520
justinx0r replied on Thu, Sep 27 2007 8:54 PM

Economics In One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt is a great introduction to economics in general.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 205

As a recent economics graduate who has read both sowell's basic economics and hazlitt's econ in one lesson, I would highly recommend sowells book to start out with, then hazlitt's book to follow up.  Sowell ties much broader implications to the basic laws of economics, while hazlit presents specific arguments to specific policy, utilizing the what is seen/unseen approach to resource allocation.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
Pedro replied on Fri, Sep 28 2007 4:56 PM

As others have said: Economics in One Lesson and Economics for Real People are great introductory books. The first one is more of a rebuttal to many economic misconceptions, but the good thing is that, in a way, it teaches how to think about economy. The second one is an introductin to Austrian Economics. Both are very easy to read.

They can both be downloaded at mises.org:

http://www.mises.org/books/econforrealpeople.pdf

http://www.mises.org/books/onelesson.pdf 

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Sat, Sep 29 2007 8:29 AM
 I consider

An Introduction to Economic Reasoning

by David Gordon

a good introduction: http://www.mises.org/etexts/EconReasoning.pdf

the concepts and method are well explained and it is less riddled with ideological statements campaigning for certain policies.  

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS