Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Georgia and Liberty

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995
Jonathan M. F. Catalán Posted: Fri, Oct 16 2009 4:52 PM

As reposted on my blog (I saw it linked on the Beacon):

"Today Mikheil Saakashvili presented a speech in the Parliament and told MPs about new initiatives in the economic sphere. He proposed the Act of Economic Freedom, implying granting more freedom to the economy, drawing the role of the state in the economy to minimum, creation of additional legislative guarantees for local businessmen and foreign investors."

Good news for Georgia?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

So long as it's real and doesn't come with any re-regulation: yes.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I am always skeptical of politicians who promise to tie their own hands.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,914
Points 70,630

what are "legislative guarantees"? and it's "for" them?

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Fri, Oct 16 2009 9:41 PM

More freedom is always better than less freedom.  If Mikheil Saakashvili really wanted to promote freedom then fire his staff then take a vacation for the rest of his term.  Then the people of Georgia would be significantly more free than with Mikheil in charge.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Fri, Oct 16 2009 9:57 PM

Saakashvili is a notoriously insane maniac who went to war with Russia waving the European Union flag.

I won't hold my breath.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

I'm sure that Georgia will not become a liberal paradise (liberal in the classic sense of the word, of course).  Nevertheless, I feel that the only direction he can really go is towards liberalization (although, I'm not too keen on the current level of regulation in Georgia).  Even a little liberalization is better than none.  He did go to war with Russia, but I don't think he's a libertarian, and I think there are factors to consider in regards to why he did so (even if he read these factors incorrectly).

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
Points 20

Hopfully the U.S. will stay out of their way, and hopefully Georgia will be successfull. This would be a great boost for the liberty cause.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Wed, Apr 28 2010 1:48 PM

They’re probably pushing this to hold head against the Russians. Its a very good plan (the only alternative, to be fair) and Georgia is actually ranked among the freest countries on earth.

I’m sure that some Israeli advisor came up with that.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS