Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What would prevent warfare and all out civil war in Rothbard's Anarcho-Capitalist society?

Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 196 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
450 Posts
Points 15,430
Novus Zarathustra posted on Sun, Oct 18 2009 8:37 PM

So how exactly would you ensure that these private military corporations and volunteer groups wouldn't wage warfare over more territory? or become states themselves? What is preventing people from Civil War without a State such as ours?

In the Anarchic society of Tribal England, civil conflict was the norm among the Celts, Jutes, and other tribes. In a world of Private Property rights, why wouldn't land owners engage in conflict to obtain more land?

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

z1235:
What do you mean? Do you want me to list all possible and/or likely manifestations of human action/behavior?

I mean, if you are going to refer to human behaviour, then you should be able to define what constitutes human behaviour.  If that means listing all possible or likely manifestations, then absolutely.  Just refering to human behaviour as some sort of singular idea that goes undefined does nothing to help us in this discussion.

z1235:
Are you claiming that violence and stealing do not exist

You already have an answer to this.  I will repeat myself, why would violence and stealing be optimal?

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 3:06 PM

GilesStratton:
Like I said, quibbles regarding the moral strength of the average man are worthless. I think it's far easier (and more accurate) to assume that most people are inherently selfish, at which point the question becomes which set of institutions will allow this selfishness to do the most harm and which will cause otherwise selfish actors to work towards "the common good".
Well this would be the utilitarian approach.

GilesStratton:

Laughing Man:
Isn't the ability to leave perhaps the greatest incentive in an organization? If we are compelled to remain in the group either in concordance with our will or against our will, does it really matter what incentives we try to instill?

Your wording is a bit confusion, I think I know what you mean but I'm hesitant to attribute a position to you that I'm not sure you hold. First, I read a relevant anecdote a while ago (it was on a blog, I forget which but I have a strong suspicion it was O&M).

I thought Laughing Man was fairly clear: That freedom of movement is a non-violent easy way to check an organization's power. To extend his point: It becomes an even easier check if institutions are not set up geographically, and one can change memberships without having to relocate.

What's wrong with the state is that it has a monopoly on whatever territory. Most states do not stop you from emigrating, which is good, and serves as a check on their abuse of power. This is most notably observed through a phenomenon called "brain drain", where the educated members of your society leave to a better one. Obviously this has not stopped the world from becoming more tyrannical over time, probably because there are only so many governments in the world (oligopoly). The obvious solution is to break the link between institutions and geography to support free entry into the marketplace.

Your spiel about this alternative probabilistic punishment method is kind of non-topical... It could easily be used by states or by private courts. In all probability folks would have a lot of social justice problems with it, since it allows for some bad people to go free and some not-so-bad people to be executed. Such is the way of utilitarianism...

Banned
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 3:08 PM

liberty student:
You already have an answer to this.  I will repeat myself, why would violence and stealing be optimal?
In anticipation of the statist's response: Why would a free society organize itself in a way that makes violence and stealing optimal?

Banned
Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

z1235:
I proposed minarchy + sound money as a more viable alternative to anarchy, to which you replied that sound money is somehow conflicting with government and taxation. Apparently it's not.

No, it is. All government debts are settled with legal tender.  Even payment in kind, is a form of legal tender.

Sound money (in the Austrian - Ron Paul sense) is market money, the absence of legal tender (Paul has called for an end to legal tender).

If Nir or yourself want to argue over what constitutes sound money, so be it.  But I am using a Misesian understanding of sound money as market money.

This was why I felt Nir was derailing.  Because he introduced trivia that ended up confusing the conversation further.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Snowflake:
In anticipation of the statist's response: Why would a free society organize itself in a way that makes violence and stealing optimal?

You're not helping.

Top 50 Contributor
2,360 Posts
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 3:18 PM

liberty student:

z1235:
Are you claiming that violence and stealing do not exist

It's not a straw-man. It's the real deal. 

A. Violence and stealing is (and has been) done by a lot of people.

B. People's motive for doing something is maximizing their self-interest. 

C. Violence and stealing must be perceived to be optimal behavior by the ones doing it. 

If A and B then C. You would need to ask THEM why. I'm only observing reality and using my brain. I don't need to know their reasons or optimality functions to make my own conclusions. 

Z.

Top 50 Contributor
2,360 Posts
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 3:25 PM

liberty student:

No, it is. All government debts are settled with legal tender.  Even payment in kind, is a form of legal tender.

Sound money (in the Austrian - Ron Paul sense) is market money, the absence of legal tender (Paul has called for an end to legal tender).

If Nir or yourself want to argue over what constitutes sound money, so be it.  But I am using a Misesian understanding of sound money as market money.

This was why I felt Nir was derailing.  Because he introduced trivia that ended up confusing the conversation further.

Whatever. Let's simplify: Minarchy + gold standard is better (more sustainable, more viable, and maximizes individual freedoms) than anarchy. 

Z.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 3:33 PM

z1235:
Whatever. Let's simplify: Minarchy + gold standard is better (more sustainable, more viable, and maximizes individual freedoms) than anarchy. 
Very heavy claim here.

It is not more sustainable because states have incentive to rule in their own favor and expand. See these United States.

It is not more viable because competition creates incentives for PDAs to produce the optimal amount of security.

It cannot maximize freedoms if it must abridge them to do so.

A minarchy state would have to accept the burden of protecting all individual and property rights. But this is a very difficult and costly thing to do. To prevent every mugging and every instance of tax fraud you would need a super police state. The obvious conclusion is that after a certain point it is not worth it to reduce the level of violence in society any more. A central planner cannot calculate this point; A free market with PDAs can.

Security is a commodity like any other. Obviously you favor competition between firms in non-security industries. Why the doublethink?

On the flipside, you're probably okay if states compete with one another for citizens (immigration/emigration, Brain Drain), why is the same not true for PDAs? The only difference is compulsion.

Banned
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

z1235:
It's not a straw-man. It's the real deal. 

No, it is.  I've already answered about violence, for you to repeat a question you already acknowledged the answer for is not very sincere.

z1235:
A. Violence and stealing is (and has been) done by a lot of people.

What is "a lot"?

z1235:
B. People's motive for doing something is maximizing their self-interest. 

Yes.

z1235:

C. Violence and stealing must be perceived to be optimal behavior by the ones doing it. 

If A and B then C.

Right.  And violence and stealing must be perceived to be less than optimal behaviour by the ones not doing it.  What are the difference in incentives between these two groups?

You can't simply claim human nature, because many people do not engage in violence and stealing.  We need to understand why billions of people live (relatively) peacefully, and millions do not.

z1235:
You would need to ask THEM why. I'm only observing reality and using my brain. I don't need to know their reasons or optimality functions to make my own conclusions. 

You might not need to know their reasons to make your own decision, but I expect you know understand their incentives if you want to discuss them with me.  If it is you and I, we can agree to non-violence (I think).  The issue here, is you introduce the boogeymen of other people.  And I want to understand, before we commit to the incentives of a minarchist state and the externalities (more incentives!) it creates, what incentives you suggest we are addressing.

Going back to my earlier point, I don't think most people avoid theft and violence because they fear institutional reprisal.  So the notion of laws or state violence keeping us safe, doesn't seem sensical to me at all.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

z1235:
Let's simplify: Minarchy + gold standard is better (more sustainable, more viable, and maximizes individual freedoms) than anarchy. 

That's incorrect.

Minarchy is not sustainable.

Viable is arbitrary.

Anarchism maximizes individual freedom, not minarchy.  Anarchism has no institutional impediment to individual freedom.  Minarchism does.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
2,491 Posts
Points 43,390

liberty student:

z1235:
Let's simplify: Minarchy + gold standard is better (more sustainable, more viable, and maximizes individual freedoms) than anarchy. 

That's incorrect.

Minarchy is not sustainable.

Viable is arbitrary.

Anarchism maximizes individual freedom, not minarchy.  Anarchism has no institutional impediment to individual freedom.  Minarchism does.

Tell that to your somali warlord.

Top 50 Contributor
1,649 Posts
Points 28,420

z1235:
minarchy + sound money

does not compute Wilted Flower

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

Top 50 Contributor
2,360 Posts
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 4:07 PM

liberty student:

Yes, but anarchy has plenty of other potential and highly unpredictable detriments to individual freedom: other people, each with their own claims to your freedom and their own powers to enforce them. The difference between you and I boils down to our models of human behavior. It's a sliding scale, really. If your more idealistic model is closer to reality then maximization of individual freedoms leans toward anarchism. If however, my less idealistic model is closer to reality then minarchy + sound money does indeed end up maximizing individual freedom better than anarchy. Btw, how is minarchy any less sustainable than anarchy? 

Z.

Top 50 Contributor
2,360 Posts
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Mon, Oct 19 2009 4:09 PM

liberty student:

Yes, but anarchy has plenty of other potential and highly unpredictable detriments to individual freedom: other people, each with their own claims to your freedom and their own powers to enforce them. The difference between you and I boils down to our models of human behavior. It's a sliding scale, really. If your more idealistic model is closer to reality then maximization of individual freedoms leans toward anarchism. If however, my less idealistic model is closer to reality then minarchy + sound money does indeed end up maximizing individual freedom better than anarchy. Btw, how is minarchy any less sustainable than anarchy? 

Z.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

scineram:
Tell that to your somali warlord.

Explain.

Page 5 of 14 (197 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS