Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Marxism made sense after all

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 55
Points 850
sergebeauchamp Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:36 AM

I was reading Rothbard critique of Marx in his History of Economic though, and Mises' in his Theory and History.

One point that was raised is how Marx can expect the state to 'wither away' while the communist mean is the maximization of the state.

And it struck me, that actually the egalitarianism of Marxian communist and the abolition of the division of labour will actually accomplish that:  the withering away of the state.

This is because with the eradication of the division of labor, and its subsequent collapse of productivity, mass starvation and death, the state will not survive the destruction of the civilization it feeds upon.

So I'm not sure if it's a point that Marxists understood, but I think it's true that under the final stage of Marxian communism, the state will wither away, but so will society too.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Nov 5 2009 11:16 AM

Have you read Rothbard's, 'The Deathwish of the Anarcho-Communists' ? Smile

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

So why aren't the Cubans, the North Koreans, half the African countries, the Chinese and the Russians living in the communist utopia yet? 

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 55
Points 850

Conza88:

Have you read Rothbard's, 'The Deathwish of the Anarcho-Communists' ? Smile

I didn't, but just did.  It's a great article, thanks for pointing it out :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 785
Points 13,445

Lol truth win

"Lo! I am weary of my wisdom, like the bee that hath gathered too much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it." -Thus Spake Zarathustra
Not Ranked
Posts 55
Points 850

Daniel:

So why aren't the Cubans, the North Koreans, half the African countries, the Chinese and the Russians living in the communist utopia yet? 

I'm not sure to understand your question, it seems to me you read the title but not the content of my post.

Anyhow, if the question is why those countries aren't living the marxist communist utopia (i.e. mass starvation and death), well they are at some level (thinking about the millions of death in north korea), but they are not following the radical egalitarianism of Marx either:  they still have a non negligible division of labor.

If their government were truly marxist,  then they would really be in a marxist utopia: a complete wasteland devoid of civilization as we know it.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS