Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

A question from a friend

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro Posted: Tue, Jan 22 2008 11:58 PM

"So I understand that when the Fed cuts rates, it creates "cheap" credit. However, can someone explain to me (using simple language that I could replicate for other non-Econ majors) precisely how the availabilty of this cheap credit leads to the increased creation of money "out off thin air"? Thanks :-)"

Ideally an explanation would be in laymen's terms. 

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Wed, Jan 23 2008 11:34 AM

The credit is money. People believe, rightly or wrongly, that everything in their checking account corresponds to an actual dollar.

Longer answer: Their demand for money is supplied by credit. When that belief collapses you see a bank run. The central banking system exists to prevent this from happening.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Wed, Jan 23 2008 12:04 PM

Stranger:

Longer answer: Their demand for money is supplied by credit. When that belief collapses you see a bank run. The central banking system exists to prevent this from happening.

Minor correction, the central banking system does not prevent bank runs from occuring, but rather it supplies enough money out of thin air to hand out to these people when the bank run does occur. (see Northern Rock and the UK Government's £54 billion "emergency funds"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Wed, Jan 23 2008 12:38 PM

I meant that the central bank exists in order to prevent the belief in credit money from collapsing. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 4,060
macsnafu replied on Wed, Jan 23 2008 1:15 PM

Meistro:

"So I understand that when the Fed cuts rates, it creates "cheap" credit. However, can someone explain to me (using simple language that I could replicate for other non-Econ majors) precisely how the availabilty of this cheap credit leads to the increased creation of money "out off thin air"? Thanks :-)"

The Fed cuts rates by increasing the money supply and making this new money available for loans at lower rates. It is because they are using newly printed money that the Fed is not constrained by the market rate of interest.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
robertp replied on Thu, Jan 24 2008 1:20 PM

The interest rate is set by the supply and demand bidding process just like everything else.  There is a supply of savings and a demand for investment.  The price of savings, the price of investment and the interest rate are all the same thing.  The fed cuts rates by buying securities with "checkbook money" or "ink money" or "money printed out of thin air" until the interest rates goes down to the targeted amount. 

One thing to realize is that when you "print money" investment increases while saving decreases, Uh Oh.  Keep learning about Austrian economics to learn all the effects that can cause...

Fractional reserve banking can also "create money out of thin air".  When you put your money into a demand deposit, you have a claim on all those dollars, they're YOUR dollars.  The bank will lend those dollars out, and a creditor will have a claim on those same dollars, they're also HIS dollars.  Now that 2 people claim the same dollar, you've "created money out of thin air".  This process is inherently unstable, if you try to get all your dollars out at once, the bank won't have them.  One thing the fed does is lower the interest rates("prints money") when banks have "liquidity problems"(they don't have your money and you want it back), this acts as a "moral hazard" and facilitates more lending of demand deposits than would happen without the fed, AKA more creation of money.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS