Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Section for beginners

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
28 Posts
Points 1,010
slugmises posted on Sun, Dec 13 2009 3:28 PM
I'm relatively new to Mises and the general school of thought, but I have known of this site for a few years and browse through occasionally. Recently however, I've been really interested in figuring this stuff out. The problem is, beginners resources are made known to me only through very knowledgeable friends. There are sites meeting this need that I've found, but none as extensive as Mises. So what I'm wondering is, if the goal of Mises.org is to educate the masses, why is there no welcoming place for them here? The site seems designed for those who already share the same understanding, the guys who are already convinced. I'm not saying rearrange the site for dumb people.. but shouldn't there be a section for introducing people to the ideas represented here? Like a guide or reading list?
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
3,011 Posts
Points 47,070

Here is the reading list for the Mises University, which would give you some introduction. Perhaps it could be retitled or reworked to a more general reading list, though I was sure I'd seen one before.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
947 Posts
Points 22,055

Well, personally, I think the thing for anyone to do is to start learning Economics in general and not pick a particular school of thought. Start with mainstream economics. For example, pick up a textbook like Greg Mankiw's Economics (or if you want something less dense maybe something like Basic Economics by Sowell or Economics Explained by Thurrow and Heilbroner). As you read more about mainstream economics, try and find articles by critics about the various topics you find interesting. Then branch out as you find counter arguments that are compelling.

But friendly advice aside, I believe you're right. They could use an introductory page here. I think they used to have a free Study Guide, but that doesn't seem to be up any more.

Personally, I think the wikipedia article on Austrian Economics does a good job enough of giving you a broad and brief over view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_School

My recommendation would be to read that then follow topics that interest you. For example, if you become interested in the Austrian Business Cycle Theory, Roger Garrison has some great introductory articles:

http://www.auburn.edu/~garriro/cbm.htm

And as you dig into the areas you're interested, be sure to also check out Austrian critics. In particular, check out Bryan Caplan's essay "Why I am not an Austrian Economist", he goes topic by topic on what he find unconvincing about the Austrian approach.

http://economics.gmu.edu/bcaplan/whyaust.htm

Then of course you would want to follow up on Austrian responses to Bryan's criticisms to see if you think they are convincing (I think Walter Block wrote a few replies to Caplan in the QJAE but I could be wrong).

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
28 Posts
Points 1,010

Thanks. I just completed a macro econ course. Taking micro next semester. Of course I can find these things if I browse around (thanks for the links btw), but people with full-time jobs, family, etc., who don' t have time to make it their mission to understand economics & ethics won't go through the hassle of getting acquainted with this stuff if it's not all right there. I know, I know, they should, because it's important. But they don't know that; people are used to quick and easy, straight to the point, drive-thru, etc.

This is much different, and only the determined and passionate seem to get anywhere with it. I hope Mises.org takes these things into consideration because this site has the best chance of representing an alternative view of how the world works. As stefbot says, the field of ethics doesn't do much good if the good guys are the only ones studying it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Male
767 Posts
Points 11,240

Check out the Human Action Comic Series created by Mises contributor Lilburne. Very helpful in understanding the different economic schools of thought.

"I don't believe in ghosts, sermons, or stories about money" - Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.
Top 100 Contributor
Male
947 Posts
Points 22,055

slugmises,

Over all, I think this would be a point best taken up with HeroicLife (who is mises.org's webmaster).

But a fun exercise for us here on the board might be to list articles we think should be included on such a page. If Heroic Life likes the idea, maybe he could use our suggestions (though I'm sure he has bosses and such that would have to approve it). Or at worst, we could "pin it" it to the top of the Newbies section.

The list would probably have to have a limited number to be useful (no more than say 15 or 20 links) and organized by some sort of category. And short articles would probably be preferred to links to huge books like Human Action.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe the topics could be....

General Economics:
(links regarding what Austrian economics is as a whole)

Microeconomics:
(links regarding the Austrian take on microtopics like Subjectivism, Welfare Economics, etc)

Macroeconomics:
(links regarding the Austrian take on macro topics like Economic Calculation Debate, Austrian Theory of Capital, Austrian Business Cycle Theory)

Criticisms of Austrian School:
(links from critics)

I know some folks on this board dislike the distinction between micro and macro. But I think sticking with categories already familiar to many people would make such a list easier to read.

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

Top 200 Contributor
Male
383 Posts
Points 8,775
Answered (Not Verified) Sukrit replied on Sun, Dec 13 2009 6:45 PM
Suggested by Conza88

I do think the site is too verbose for a lot of average people who would otherwise be interested in the ideas. I was a Milton Friedman-style libertarian back in 2007, but I still ignored the vast resources at Mises.org until Ron Paul came along and popularized the ideas. So even sympathetic people are put off by the extremely academic nature of the site. So maybe a "dumbed down" welcome page would be a good idea.

On the other hand, we already have a dumbed down version of Mises in the Campaign for Liberty. So I see no need for Mises to shed its essential character since Ron Paul's organization is already doing a good job in reaching the masses.

Not Ranked
Male
28 Posts
Points 1,010

I'm not a big fan of C4L myself, even they are not too appealing to newcomers, IMO.

Hard Rain, I really like that comic so far, thanks (i'll probably be looking at that tonight instead of studying for finals).

Student, I like your suggestion, that will make this thread productive, if others want to add to it.

One way of doing it, as it is called an Institute after all, is modeling it somewhat like babypips school.  On the home page there could be like a box similar to babypips.com's "New to [Austrian economics]? Start classes." Not to do it exactly like that, but, as an idea.

Thanks for the replies.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
767 Posts
Points 11,240

slugmises:

Hard Rain, I really like that comic so far, thanks (i'll probably be looking at that tonight instead of studying for finals).

No problem, mate. J. Grayson Lilburne is the person to thank Yes

"I don't believe in ghosts, sermons, or stories about money" - Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.
Top 75 Contributor
1,005 Posts
Points 19,030

Hard Rain:
 J. Grayson Lilburne is the person to thank

that guy keeps getting cooler by the day...

and it's eating me aliivve! (just kidding)

Top 25 Contributor
3,415 Posts
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Dec 13 2009 9:51 PM

Yea Lilburne is def a stud.

Some time back I requested something similar to this. A FAQ page but something a bit more organic and summarized than what we currently have.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS