Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Did Rothbard ever finish his History of Economic Thought and Concieved in Liberty books?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
289 Posts
Points 9,530
Kenneth posted on Tue, Mar 2 2010 10:10 AM

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

I know for sure that History of Economic Thought was suppose to have a third volume which brought it too the present. Sadly Rothbard broke one of his own rules in creating volumes. To paraphrase him, he said that scholars shouldn't label their works volume I because rarely do the volumes get completed.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,051 Posts
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 11:47 AM

Did he ever have the manuscripts for the third volume near completed?  We could what Engels did to Marx and throw it all together with "MANUSCRIPT ENDS HERE" to signify the end.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

Bert:

Did he ever have the manuscripts for the third volume near completed?  We could what Engels did to Marx and throw it all together with "MANUSCRIPT ENDS HERE" to signify the end.

Good question to ask the faculty.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
853 Posts
Points 17,830

I think he finished Conceived in Liberty, though I have not read it.

He only finished two volumes of his wonderful and epic History of Economic Thought.

Top 500 Contributor
342 Posts
Points 7,875

Rothbard is such a treat to listen to and read. He's such a profound intellectual giant and he's like the professor I've never had. I feel like our geneeration was robbed of someone truly great. Now, we are stuck with an unproprtionate amount of unoriginal, intellectually insipid professors who cannot teach if their lives depended on it. Not to mention the seemingly endless amount of dolts that fill the seats in classrooms today.

If only I were many years younger and could have taken one of his courses!

Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Mar 2 2010 3:25 PM

"Throughout his career, he continued to read voraciously in the area of American revisionist history. His four-volume history of colonial America, Conceived in Liberty, never received the recognition it deserved, either in conservative circles (it was too libertarian) or professional historical circles (it was too libertarian). His notes for the long-missing fifth volume are entombed in a now-defunct technology: a voice recorder system for which no playback machine exists."

Gary North in Murray N. Rothbard - In Memoriam

Not Ranked
33 Posts
Points 720

He never finished his History of Economic Thought, though Ralph Raico mentions in one of the Mises University lectures he gave a year or two ago, that Guido Hulsman's Mises: The Last Knight of Liberalism is a great "third part" to Rothbard's History.  It gives an enormous investigation into the contributions of the Austrian school from Menger to Rothbard.  I am about 200 pages through this tome, and it is absolutely fantastic.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS