Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

PDF Security Settings

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
10 Posts
Points 90
Damien Manier posted on Sat, Mar 6 2010 11:29 AM

When I read very informative books I prefer to take notes and highlight.  I was wondering why the PDF security settings in the literature section are set to prevent me from highlighting or commenting on them once I d/l them?  This would make it much easier for me to use them as sources.

All Replies

Not Ranked
Male
10 Posts
Points 90

I may have discovered my own problem but  I have no way to tell for sure.  I am using Adobe Reader not  Acrobat so that may be why I can not highlight or write comments.  I am able to on my online textbooks because of their licenses that allow Adobe Reader users special access.  I imagine if I had Acrobat I would then have permissions to highlight or comment on the literature pdf files, but I have no way to know for sure since I do not have Acrobat.  In the mean time I found that I can open the E-PUB versions in firefox and easily copy paste into a word doc and highlight and comment there. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 11:16 AM

Are you able to write comments into .pdf files not from mises.org? AFAIK if you want to write into a .pdf file you need a programme able to create/modify .pdf files but Adobe (Acrobat) Reader is only good for viewing.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
166 Posts
Points 2,730

Wikipedia:
Adobe Reader (formerly Acrobat Reader) is available as a no-charge download from Adobe's web site, and allows the viewing and printing of PDF files.

I don't think getting an older version of your current reader is going to help you.

As for annotating PDF files, I've never done it. From what I've seen now, my reader (called Foxit; I can recommend it, it's generally faster than Adobe) requires an editor addon for that sort of thing. Your Adobe Reader might do the same.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS