Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Spend the Summer at the Mises Institute

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker Posted: Mon, Feb 25 2008 8:36 AM

The Mises Institute offers summer-long fellowships for students, mostly grad students but sometimes undergrads. You can ask anyone who has attended: as a chance for research, writing, and learning, nothing compares. This is true no matter where you are doing your studies. People from all over the world have just loved their 3 months in Auburn. You have full access to the best library in North America, right here, a library that includes all of Rothbard's books, the Lefevre library and vastly more. You study under resident and visiting faculty, presenting papers and enjoying every minute of it. There are only 15 or so spots. Apply here

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
I was considering this, but there is no way I can afford the flight to the US right now, so I might postpone it for when I am studying for a JD in the US.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Inquisitor replied on Thu, Mar 13 2008 10:03 PM
Jeff, I wanted to ask, are these internships/fellowships paid for like the ARI internships?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Fri, Mar 14 2008 8:04 AM

ARI is the Ayn Rand Institute? I'm not sure. The summer fellows don't do work for the Institute in the sense of stuffing envelopes or making copies etc. Their whole job is research. They are under the direction of a visiting faculty member and present papers, critique other people's papers etc., learn a lot and have a great time.  

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Inquisitor replied on Tue, Mar 18 2008 10:51 PM
Has the closing date for the applications already passed? It mentions the second week of March, so I'd surmise so, or is it still possible to apply? If not I'll apply next year.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Wed, Mar 19 2008 5:34 AM

there is still time. just write pat@mises.com 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 102
Points 2,555
reidbump replied on Wed, Mar 19 2008 3:35 PM

What about those of us who have our degrees but would be interested in doing it as a sabbatical? 

"Paper money has had the effect in your state that it will ever have, to ruin commerce, oppress the honest, and open the door to every species of fraud and injustice." - George Washington
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Wed, Mar 19 2008 4:17 PM

you are welcome to com. just apply

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,205
Points 20,670
JAlanKatz replied on Wed, Mar 19 2008 7:11 PM

Is there anything available for those with degrees, intereted in paying our own upkeep for part of the summer?  I'd like to come for some period of time, pay for room and board, plus whatever amount to the institute, just because at home, there's a millions things I can do during the summer - but if I were there, I would have little choice but to do my research.  I only want to come for part of the summer because I teach summer school.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,175
Points 17,905
SystemAdministrator
Inquisitor replied on Wed, Mar 19 2008 10:34 PM
Jeff, thanks. I filled in the application; I'm just waiting for references now.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 130
Points 2,625
gussosa replied on Tue, Mar 25 2008 12:37 PM

Hi Jeff 

How much are you paid for the internship? 

If you aren't: Is there any chance of arranging to get a job in a company or institution (even at the institute itself)?

I am able to work in teaching, sales, maintenance, translations, copywriting, engineering design (including mechanisms and refrigeration systems) and investment analysis.

I am interested in staying there for a whole year, but I haven't got rich relatives or any savings to support me even for a month. 

Pity the theory which sets itself up in opposition to the mind!

Carl Von Clausewitz

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
jbrown3 replied on Thu, Mar 27 2008 2:23 AM

Hi Jeff, this is my first time on the forum. I just had a few questions about the summer fellowships. Are there still slots avaiable? I am expected to finish up my MA in Economics this summer, is it still appropriate to apply? I'd love to get a chance to come and get involved in some serious scholary work I'm passionate about, and I'm toying with the idea of continuing onto a PhD but would like to test the waters.

Thanks,

Jack

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Thu, Mar 27 2008 6:34 AM

Seems like it woul be good for you. Write pat@mises.org and jsale@earthlink.net

I'm not sure if there are spots left but you might ask and make a pitch.     

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Do they do this every summer?

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Libertyandlife:

Do they do this every summer?

Yes or at least they are doing it this summer.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS