Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Image Microsoft Doesn't Want You To See

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 35 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
111 Posts
Points 2,505
Andy posted on Sun, Apr 18 2010 1:09 AM

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266643/Microsofts-Chinese-workforce-tired-stay-awake.html#ixzz0lQHRFB8W

So I'm trying to figure this out. Assuming this article is true, why is it the case that the Chinese workers simply cannot just quit the jobs to escape the bad conditions?

Why are the wages not higher? Is it not true that the workers are offering a high marginal value product?

If government intervention is the problem, what exactly is it?

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,005 Posts
Points 19,030

you don't gain from intervening though.

As buying labor becomes harder there will be more unemployment and businesses will be out of workers.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,956 Posts
Points 56,800
But the workers who are left will get paid more. Assuming there are any left. Is that risk worth it?
Top 500 Contributor
Male
139 Posts
Points 2,270

Property is theft!

Theft from whom? This is a logical fallacy. For theft to have any meaning, property rights must first be clearly defined and subsequently violated. Theft is the involuntary transfer of property from one party to another. Exclaiming property "is" theft is circular reasoning.

Not Ranked
66 Posts
Points 870

Orthogonal:

Property is theft!

Theft from whom? This is a logical fallacy. For theft to have any meaning, property rights must first be clearly defined and subsequently violated. Theft is the involuntary transfer of property from one party to another. Exclaiming property "is" theft is circular reasoning.

It's the ghost of Proudhon.

Self-refuting statements ftl.

Top 500 Contributor
366 Posts
Points 5,635
yessir replied on Sun, Apr 18 2010 4:44 PM

I think they mean theft from the 'commons'

Most of the time they define private property as immoral, but to get around the problem define private possession as moral

I think it is interesting:

If I make a stick and give it to you and you use it to shake apples 4 from a tree and give me one in return for my stick, I engage in privatizing means of production and am immoral (even tho now you have 3 apples and I 1, ie both are better off)

If I make a stick and instead of increasing your productivity just sit there and scratch my ass with it, I am not privatizing means of production (since it is only used in private) and thus engage in a moral act.

Doesn't make much sense to me....

Top 75 Contributor
1,005 Posts
Points 19,030

"But the workers who are left will get paid more. Assuming there are any left. Is that risk worth it?"

The workers do get paid more but I think that this would be an unjust profit. This is because it was gained through coercion and instilling fear into other workers and businessmen.  So ethically, I don't think that this gain is really a gain worth keeping -if .50 cents is enough subjectively, then everything is just and a rise in wages due to violence is unjust, since it ignores the social will of others embodied in prices.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
139 Posts
Points 2,270

I think they mean theft from the 'commons'

Most of the time they define private property as immoral, but to get around the problem define private possession as moral

Yes, I know they make an arbitrary distinction and exception for consumption goods to be "possessed" since they have too. When a Marxist refers to property, they are usually referring to capital goods which makes discussions difficult since so many terms are defined differently. This also ties into anarchism. An Ancap would define Anarchism as a society that is "Stateless" or the absence of a coercive monopoly. Wheras the communists define it as a "Classless" society with the absence of private ownership in capital goods. With so many different terms and definitions, it's no wonder there is never any meaningful discussions between the two groups.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,956 Posts
Points 56,800

Is anyone else having trouble with the quote button?

@fakename, I tend to agree with you.  I don't think the costs are worth the potential benefits.

Top 75 Contributor
1,005 Posts
Points 19,030

I know, I am too.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

"I know, I am too."

It's an upgrade issue. It is being worked on.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266643/Microsofts-Chinese-workforce-tired-stay-awake.html#ixzz0lQHRFB8W

So I'm trying to figure this out. Assuming this article is true, why is it the case that the Chinese workers simply cannot just quit the jobs to escape the bad conditions?

Why are the wages not higher? Is it not true that the workers are offering a high marginal value product?

If government intervention is the problem, what exactly is it?

The picture looks like a wet dream for our New World Order overlords.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
1,005 Posts
Points 19,030

Of course this distinction between private property and private possession is contradictory since it is ultimately all too true that capital can be possessed -that is, your above mentioned butt scratcher can be an object of possession. So theft would be private possession and thus a contradiction ensues if I'm reading you right.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Answered (Not Verified) Sieben replied on Sun, Apr 18 2010 5:34 PM
Suggested by Nielsio

Uhh I thought all the jobs in china were basically government controlled. With the so-called free market corporations essentially under control of the state.

If someone's alternative is starvation, you don't have to pay them very much or treat them very well. Its competition between entrepreneurs that raises the standard of living for employees. I guess its missing.

Banned
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
139 Posts
Points 2,270
Would China be classified as a Corporatist/Mercantilist state or a Fascist state. Seems to be closer to the latter.
Top 500 Contributor
366 Posts
Points 5,635
yessir replied on Sun, Apr 18 2010 5:46 PM

it just seems to me that the distinction between property and possession would destroy any incentive to save and invest (and create more capital)

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS