Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why are Austrians so proud of their nation?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 177
Points 2,860
Naevius Posted: Fri, Jun 18 2010 4:37 PM

In the thirteenth and final chapter of Democracy: The God That Failed (which I just finished reading--excellent book!), Hans Hermann Hoppe states that

In a recent survey, people of different nationalities were asked how proud they were to be American, German, French, etc., and whether or not they believed that the world would be a better place if other countries were just like their own. The countries ranking highest in terms of national pride were the United States and Austria.

He goes on to talk about the U.S. since it's actually relevant to his book, but like the author himself, I find the fact that the Austrians were second fascinating. I would have sooner expected a nation like France to claim second. So, my question is this: does anyone know why the men and women of Austria are so proud of their nation?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Fri, Jun 18 2010 5:34 PM

Haydn, Mozart, Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, Strauss, Schubert, Mahler, Bruckner, Kafka, Steiner, Trakl, Wittgenstein, Buber, Hayek, Mises, Freud among others maybe part of it.  Vienna may also be one of the most beautiful cities in the world and the Alps may be one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the world.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 177
Points 2,860
Naevius replied on Fri, Jun 18 2010 5:36 PM

Ah. Makes sense, now that I think about it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370
abskebabs replied on Fri, Jun 18 2010 5:45 PM

Also, despite similiar cultural eminence in the 19th century they don't share the baggage of the germans from the 1930s and 2nd world war.

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Jun 18 2010 5:51 PM

Don't forget Godel!

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

Loos, Schopenhauer, Kokoschka, Musil, Kraus come to mind too. Read Janik and Toulmin's Wittgenstein's Vienna for an idea what life was like there at the turn of the century. Schorske's Fin-de-Siecle Vienna isn't bad as well. I think Hoppe cites both of these at the beginning of his work.

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Fri, Jun 18 2010 6:26 PM

Cool, thanks for the suggestion, sounds like a good read. Also, I am not really a guy to know names of architects, but I have hunch Austria has had some top notch names in architecture.  Any architect buffs out there know of any austrians?

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

Loos helped Wittgenstein build a house. pic

This type of design was a response to the gaudy ornamental style of home furnishing that was the rage then. The whole concept of "form vs. function" came out of this period. I don't remember any architects mentioned besides Loos offhand.

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Fri, Jun 18 2010 8:13 PM

That was essentially a decade ago. I believe Australia is actually near the top atm.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Fri, Jun 18 2010 8:20 PM

Because they are chest-thumpers?

I didn't think you needed a reason for that. It's a matter of culture.

Also, despite similiar cultural eminence in the 19th century they don't share the baggage of the germans from the 1930s and 2nd world war.

Other than that Adolf Hitler was from Linz and that they had a war criminal for president [Kurt Waldheim] you mean?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS