Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Any Teachers Here?

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750
Jeremiah Dyke Posted: Sun, Jul 11 2010 12:23 PM

I finally finished my math website if anyone cares to take a look

http://handsonmath.blogspot.com/

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 210
Zeo285 replied on Sun, Jul 11 2010 12:48 PM

Math? On an austrian fourm? Arnt you like, ganna get your account suspended?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Nice work Jeremiah.  Do you have any plans to promote it?  You should definitely set up a page on Facebook for it, and get a Twitter account, maybe you can tweet some math problems and solutions.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

I really hope to promote it, and spur some demand for hands-on math projects within the classroom.

Math classrooms are simply saturated with worksheets and textbooks... no wonder disgust for math is so prominent  

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 836
Points 15,370
abskebabs replied on Sun, Jul 11 2010 6:09 PM

Nice blog Jeremy. What you seem to be putting into practice with your teachng seems more colourful than what I had even conceived would be possible. Great stuff, your passion for the subject clearly shows.

"When the King is far the people are happy."  Chinese proverb

For Alexander Zinoviev and the free market there is a shared delight:

"Where there are problems there is life."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

If you want any ideas for promoting it, let me know.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

@LS

Ideas would be great! Thanks!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 289
Points 9,530
Kenneth replied on Sun, Jul 11 2010 11:36 PM

Good work! I wish you success in your endeavors. :D

Maybe you can offer things not found in khanacademy or use a different creative approach

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Jeremiah Dyke:
@LS

Ideas would be great! Thanks!

I added you as a friend here so you can PM, also I am pretty sure you have my notreason.com email address.

Drop me a line.  I have some ideas for you for sure.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 488
Points 8,140
LeeO replied on Mon, Jul 12 2010 9:19 AM

I have been tutoring middle school math students for the past two years, and.....your website is awesome. I spent all my time helping kids slog through worksheets and textbook assignments. Our time would have been much better spent doing hands-on math.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 249
Points 3,450
hugolp replied on Mon, Jul 12 2010 9:28 AM

Nice blog. I usually dont like background images in a block, but in your case I did not mind (that means its good). I just skipped throught the contents and it looks very good.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Many years ago I tried to discover the formula for finding square root without looking it up.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 753
Points 18,750

Following the advice of Liberty Student I set up a facebook page for the website http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hands-On-Math/136805646339823

If any of you want to join that would be great or even if you know any educators that may be interested.

Thanks

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 43
Points 615
VA replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 9:16 PM

Not sure if you want to shell out a few dollars for a template but here are some good ones for blogger http://themeforest.net/category/misc/blogger

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 194
Points 4,315
Mike replied on Thu, Jul 15 2010 9:39 PM

wish there were more teachers like you - keep up the good work!!!

Be responsible, ease suffering; spay or neuter your pets.

We must get them to understand that government solutions are the problem!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS