Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Editing posts

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw Posted: Sun, Mar 30 2008 9:17 AM

There should not be a time limit on editing posts.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 800
Junker replied on Sun, Mar 30 2008 11:01 AM

So it is at other forums I visit. It's convenience remains unlimited and seldom produces difficulties. So yes, I'm for it.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—forever.
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 849
Points 17,125
Ego replied on Sun, Mar 30 2008 11:59 AM

I agree.

Instead of disabling editing after a certain period of time, just automatically add, "This post was edited on [date/time]" at the beginning of each post. This way, readers will be informed that the post may have been edited after someone responded.

Don't allow leftists to play games with definitions! Some of the libertarian-leaning leftists at this forum will try to redefine "left-wing" back to its original defition (Third Estate, limited government, free-markets, laissez-faire reforms, etc.). Fine! We non-leftists can't stop them from using their own personal definitions; they can use whatever labels they want to describe any concept they want.

However, they have the audacity to then use their personal definition of "left-wing" (remember, the original definition, which is no longer valid) to prove that modern leftists are more libertarian than modern rightists! They will say that libertarianism is "inherently leftist" (again, using the original, no longer valid definition), and use that to insist that we should prefer and side with modern leftists over modern rightists.

Question their motives.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

I'm not so sure.  I'm used to the way it is now, and while I know it would be silly for me to worry about revisionism amid posts, I think it would get a bit complex it trying to keep up with posts that are forever editable. 

However, I do think it would help threads alive, somewhat.  It would add another option to adding to the discussion.  So I suppose I say "yea".  

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095
Spideynw replied on Tue, Apr 1 2008 12:11 PM

Nitroadict:
think it would get a bit complex it trying to keep up with posts that are forever editable. 

It isn't.  I am a member of my350z.com, and they used to have a time limit on editing posts.  It is much better now that they got rid of it.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V replied on Wed, Apr 2 2008 6:12 PM

We can discuss the lock-out period, but what valid reason would you have for editing a post after a long time?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095

And I would ask what valid reason is there to not allow someone to change a post indefinitely?

Regardless though, let's say someone writes a "how to" post, and a year later finds out something new, and people like to refer to the post, and so this person updates the post with new information, so eveyrone does not have to be notified of a new post and have to try and find it.  I don't know.  I am sure there are plenty of reasons why someone may change their post at a later date.

Also, if someone quotes a post, and someone changes their post after it is quoted, everyone can see that it was changed.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 849
Points 17,125
Ego replied on Thu, Apr 3 2008 2:34 AM

Yeah, I see a glaring typo on an old-but-active thread of mine! I want to edit it away!

Don't allow leftists to play games with definitions! Some of the libertarian-leaning leftists at this forum will try to redefine "left-wing" back to its original defition (Third Estate, limited government, free-markets, laissez-faire reforms, etc.). Fine! We non-leftists can't stop them from using their own personal definitions; they can use whatever labels they want to describe any concept they want.

However, they have the audacity to then use their personal definition of "left-wing" (remember, the original definition, which is no longer valid) to prove that modern leftists are more libertarian than modern rightists! They will say that libertarianism is "inherently leftist" (again, using the original, no longer valid definition), and use that to insist that we should prefer and side with modern leftists over modern rightists.

Question their motives.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V replied on Thu, Apr 3 2008 3:58 PM

Spideynw:
nd I would ask what valid reason is there to not allow someone to change a post indefinitely?

Intellectual honesty.  Just like in real life, if someone says something they later regret, they should not be able to change history. 

Spideynw:
Regardless though, let's say someone writes a "how to" post, and a year later finds out something new, and people like to refer to the post, and so this person updates the post with new information, so eveyrone does not have to be notified of a new post and have to try and find it.

A forum is not the right place for this kind of information.  You can add an additional post, which would also notify others that there is something new on a thread.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095

HeroicLife:

Intellectual honesty.  Just like in real life, if someone says something they later regret, they should not be able to change history. 

In real life, if someone says something they later regret, they can clarify and correct it.  But hey, if you would rather people take up more space by adding more posts, then that is your choice.

Regardless, it is my experience that people like forums more that allow people to change their posts at anytime.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 849
Points 17,125
Ego replied on Thu, Apr 3 2008 4:47 PM

What if you place a large warning on each post that was edited late? I think it would improve over-all writing quality if you allow posts to be edited forever. If someone sees a post they made earlier in the thread with a stupid typo, they can correct it.

For example:

Imagine this in larger, red text:

This post was last edited on [date/time]; it may not reflect the original post.

Question their motives.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 15,105

Yeah, I always add an:

------edit------

That way if someone posts something that is revelant while I'm composting my thoughts I don't have to double post.

Unless it's just a simple typo or something.

I post a lot on another forum with no editing and it just sucks

But I'm fine with a time limit but then again I don't post a whole lot over here so it doesn't effect me as much as others.

----real edit----

Then I went playing around with the user's stats page and found out I'm #10 in number of posts...

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V replied on Sat, Apr 5 2008 9:31 PM

I have requested that the developers allow me to make the edit date/note mandatory  - if they do, I will consider making posts editable indefinately.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 849
Points 17,125
Ego replied on Sat, Apr 5 2008 10:08 PM
Wow, thanks! Smile

Question their motives.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,959
Points 55,095

Awesome!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 224
Points 3,785

Sounds good.

...And nobody has ever taught you how to live out on the street, But now you're gonna have to get used to it...

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS