Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Anyone from Ireland?

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 900
JonnyD Posted: Sat, Dec 11 2010 6:46 AM

Check out our new site http://www.freedomireland.com

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 900
JonnyD replied on Sun, Dec 12 2010 2:17 PM

bump

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

I'm not, but I have a question for you. What is the commonly-held view of the Provisional IRA in Ireland? I'm assuming most people want Ireland to be a sovereign country and get out of the United Kingdom, but is the IRA seen as a terrorist group or basically 'patriots' (for lack of a better word). Clearly the IRA's message makes sense but I don't really know much about the events, etc. If you have any book/movie recommendations about it, too, I'd really appreciate that.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 900
JonnyD replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 4:49 PM

Im sorry i dont know the answers to those questions. it dont think it matters to me once the state ceases to exist.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Dec 21 2010 5:02 PM

I'm not, but I have a question for you. What is the commonly-held view of the Provisional IRA in Ireland? I'm assuming most people want Ireland to be a sovereign country and get out of the United Kingdom, but is the IRA seen as a terrorist group or basically 'patriots' (for lack of a better word). Clearly the IRA's message makes sense but I don't really know much about the events, etc. If you have any book/movie recommendations about it, too, I'd really appreciate that.

There is a long BBC documentary that is alright. The Provos, Loyalists and Brits - It has been a while since I watched it, but as I recall the Provo part was the best, the other two were mildly boring. In terms of non-documentary film the mini-series Harrys Game is lauded as the most realistic and grimm. I liked the movie The Wind that Shakes the Barley a lot, but it deals with the 1919-1922 events.

Also Brian it is not clear from your post that you understand Ireland isn't in the United Kingdom? It's only the northern 15% of the island that is in it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,434
Points 29,210

Also Brian it is not clear from your post that you understand Ireland isn't in the United Kingdom? It's only the northern 15% of the island that is in it.

Yeah, I know that. The way I see it, though, if Mexico's government were to occupy Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, I feel like even people in New York would want them to get out of the United States in general. That's why I was just referring to Ireland as a whole instead of simply referring to Northern Ireland. Thanks for the documentary/mini-series links, too!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100

Belatedly finding this post, but glad to do so. Will check out the site more thoroughly as time permits, but from my quick look it appreas to share my own world view.

I've often thought that Northern Ireland or perhjaps even the nine counties of historic Ulster might be ripe for conversion to voluntaryism since the two major religious groups are adamantly opposed to being governed or ruled by the other group. Thus, voluntaryism, wherein nobody rules anybody would seem to be a logical solution to the near-millenium-long and not-ever-yet Troubles. And wouldn't ti be nice if the Irish again, as they did when their monks first preserved and then shared with the rest of Europe the wisdom of the ages that had been lost to England and continental Europe during the Dark Ages, were to show the world the way to peace, prosperity and harmonious human relations that is only achievable in the absence of the ever-violent State. Of course modern Israel is in much the same condition and position as NI, and there is also some tradition there of revolutionary thinkiing in terms of peaceful human relations.

God bless www.freedomireland.com

Psalm 24:1 "The earth and everything on it are the Lord's." "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's (viz., nothing)."--Jesus of Nazareth, paraphrased.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS