Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Shaving Cream Racket

rated by 0 users
This post has 98 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Mon, Jan 3 2011 11:51 AM

Vitor:

It's my day by day shoe.

Which model?

If I wrote it more than a few weeks ago, I probably hate it by now.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 10:50 AM

I live in Recife, a warm city in the northeastern coast of Brazil, so I use the RunAmoc Lite, that is quite ventilated. But since I guess you live somewhere colder, chose the non-lite model. 

Just remember to buy one number smaller than your usual, since they are quite roomy.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 10:56 AM

Vitor:

I live in Recife, a warm city in the northeastern coast of Brazil, so I use the RunAmoc Lite, that is quite ventilated. But since I guess you live somewhere colder, chose the non-lite model. 

Just remember to buy one number smaller than your usual, since they are quite roomy.

Thanks.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

To inject my uniquely feminine perspective...  :)  I can imagine that after a two week period of being subjected to daily stress of shaving without cream, the skin would adapt.  Think...  breastfeeding.  Very similar process.  Takes about two weeks to fully adjust and get over the skin irritation and pain of it.

Next step: Convince women that shaving their legs and their armpits is ridiculous and they'll stop using shaving cream, too!  ;)

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:10 PM

Next step: Convince women that shaving their legs and their armpits is ridiculous and they'll stop using shaving cream, too!  ;)

My girlfriend had stopped shaving her legs and using deodorant.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:19 PM

Gross.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:24 PM

Mtn Dew:

Gross.

Why?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

Bert:
My girlfriend had stopped shaving her legs and using deodorant.
How does she get away with not using deodorant?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:29 PM

ladyphoenix:

How does she get away with not using deodorant?

Either she doesn't, or she just doesn't tell anybody about it.

But, more seriously, as a few people noted earlier in the thread, it's useless in the long run.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

Why?

Decades of social indoctrination...that I share (for better or worse).

But to turn that around--why am I shaving my face?

" ‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. “
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:32 PM

Sometimes I forget to put on deoderant. My girlfriend says I actually smell better. I notice that women are more dovey around me. Maybe its the pheromones.

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:33 PM

BiPolarMoment:

Decades of social indoctrination...that I share (for better or worse).

Oh well.

BiPolarMoment:

But to turn that around--why am I shaving my face?

Perhaps for the same reason that you gave to my question.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:35 PM

Most people don't wear deodorant, and don't need to.  It's actually a rather recent trend in history to use these products.  Deodorant wasn't commercially sold til the 19th century.  There's nothing gross about not using any of these products.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:38 PM

Sieben:

Sometimes I forget to put on deoderant. My girlfriend says I actually smell better. I notice that women are more dovey around me. Maybe its the pheromones.

It is the pheromones.  Your natural odor is more attractive than what some corporation sells to you to cover it up.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

I. Ryan:
Either she doesn't, or she just doesn't tell anybody about it.

But, more seriously, as a few people noted earlier in the thread, it's useless in the long run.

From a male perspective, perhaps.  As a woman, I've dealt with negative social consequences to not wearing and wearing ineffectual deodorant...  and trust me, they were quite severe.  Me, I don't mind my own smell.  I don't mind the smell of my husband.  But socially...  in the area where I live...  it is seriously unacceptable.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:46 PM

ladyphoenix:

From a male perspective, perhaps.  As a woman, I've dealt with negative social consequences to not wearing and wearing ineffectual deodorant...  and trust me, they were quite severe.  Me, I don't mind my own smell.  I don't mind the smell of my husband.  But socially...  in the area where I live...  it is seriously unacceptable.

Have you ever tried going without it for an extended period of time (like 6 weeks or more)?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 480
Points 9,370

Non-issue for me:  I grew up without being able to afford shaving cream.  Soap and water does fine. 

Further non-issue now:  Every few months, I get my facial hair removed with laser treatments.  Eventually, the removal is permanent.  Regardless, I get months at a time without having to shave. 

Pre-marital advice to the guys: 

GET A BARBER TO GIVE YOU A PROFESSIONAL SHAVE ON THE MORNING OF YOUR WEDDING!!!   so that your photographs look the best. 

A week before your wedding, get a professional shave and figure out how fast you develop a shadow beard.  Then, calculate when you should get that shave on the morning of your wedding so that your photo session works out best. 

I would even recommend that you get your facial hair removed with a laser two weeks prior if you want the best look.  The treatment hurts, mind you but it looks and feels great.  

Before calling yourself a libertarian or an anarchist, read this.  
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:48 PM

Body odor is not pleasant.

Hairy legs is gross, but that's not an absolute, it's just my (and most Americans') taste. I am not sure where it came from, but shaved legs seem so much more feminine and hygenic.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,600

I. Ryan:
Perhaps for the same reason that you gave to my question.

Most likely right, but not as much my own--my own reasons are simply discomfort after several days of not shaving and to a lesser extent a matter of social appearances.

It's to a much greater extent due to employment pressures on looking "professional". The same reason I'm wearing a tie today.frown

" ‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. “
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:56 PM

The ideas about not using shampoo, using mineral deodorant (that kills bacteria, but doesn't block pores) and not shaving foam I've heard before. I've been using mineral salts deodorants for some weeks now and sweat as usual during exercise, minus the smell.

But what do you guys think of fluoride and toothpaste? I'm not talking about water fluoridation or accidentally swallowing toothpaste, I mean just normal daily use for brushing teeth, there's nothing wrong with that, right? Or rather, is there another alternative that's just as effective for preventing tooth decay?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 12:57 PM

Mtn Dew:

Body odor is not pleasant.

Of course it doesn't, but not using deodorant doesn't necessarily mean smelling bad.

Mtn Dew:

I am not sure where it came from, but shaved legs seem so much more feminine and hygenic.

Probably from another one of the most extensive kinds of vicious cycles.

The women who care about hygiene and looking good usually shave their legs, and those who don't, well, usually don't. And that's the origin of those associations. It's a vicious circle of one of the most insidious kinds. Just trick enough people into thinking that changing something about their body (a part that you can see) is "hygienic" or something, and then it sustains itself. And it also works for a lot of other things. But what would it be like if a very attractive women who kept up with her hygiene, health, and so on were to do just one thing differently: not shave her legs? What would that be like? Try to take an unprejudiced look!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Thanks Jeffrey Tucker, this no shaving cream thing has actually left my face looking much smoother and clearer!

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 1:02 PM

BiPolarMoment:

Most likely right, but not as much my own--my own reasons are simply discomfort after several days of not shaving and to a lesser extent a matter of social appearances.

Sorry, I mistook you as Mtn Dew for some reason.

BiPolarMoment:

It's to a much greater extent due to employment pressures on looking "professional". The same reason I'm wearing a tie today.

Good point, because the tie thing is just a communicative thing: It means that you're taking it seriously, being "professional", and so on. And the fact that it's a tie and not something else is just as arbitrary as the fact that we use the sound of /sh/ for "please be quiet" or whatever. Not wearing one sends a message - one that you might not want to send.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

I. Ryan:
Have you ever tried going without it for an extended period of time (like 6 weeks or more)?

No...   For this reason...

I. Ryan:
Good point, because the tie thing is just a communicative thing: It means that you're taking it seriously, being "professional", and so on. And the fact that it's a tie and not something else is just as arbitrary as the fact that we use the sound of /sh/ for "please be quiet" or whatever. Not wearing one sends a message - one that you might not want to send.

Emphasis mine, of course.  I'm really rather close to people often enough to be...  uncomfortable in that position.  Though...  I'll have to check our union contract and see if body odor is addressed.  :) 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 1:17 PM

ladypheonix:

Emphasis mine, of course.  I'm really rather close to people often enough to be...  uncomfortable in that position.  Though...  I'll have to check our union contract and see if body odor is addressed.  :) 

Just don't bring it up, and nobody will know.

Like, the reason why I asked whether you've ever stopped using it for 6 weeks or more is because for a lot of people it only takes about 6 weeks of going without it to find that their dependency on it is broken. If you maintain a proper hygiene in other respects, really you don't need it. And, if you don't maintain the proper hygiene, you probably won't be able to get by even with it anyway. For some people, deodorant might be a compensator. But, for others, it might be useless. If you're generally a "clean" person, you probably don't need it. As Catalan said, it'll smell at first, but soon your body will adjust. Or at least that's how it works for a lot of people. But, then again, if you care about social things, you need a super low time preference to be able to pull off an experiment like that.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 202
Points 2,620
mwalsh replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 1:19 PM

I know for me, I use an electric razor, and I do not use the version of shaving cream for electric razors.  I manage to go a day or two between shaves anyway though- got to love being a toe-headed blond.  

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." - Unknown
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 166
Points 3,300
Kaz replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 1:20 PM

Just use an electric shaver.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

I. Ryan:
Just don't bring it up, and nobody will know.
I'm not worried about bringing it up.  I wouldn't do that for such an experiment.  Was just curious.

I. Ryan:
Like, the reason why I asked whether you've ever stopped using it for 6 weeks or more is because for a lot of people it only takes about 6 weeks of going without it to find that their dependency on it is broken.
I figured as much.  I have not that I recall.  Though I'm interested in your definition of "proper hygene" since we're talking about people not washing their hair with shampoo and such.  :)

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 480
Points 9,370

"But what do you guys think of fluoride and toothpaste?

Fluoride is  the only thing in toothpaste that helps compared to using water alone. 

Before calling yourself a libertarian or an anarchist, read this.  
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

Fred Furash:
But what do you guys think of fluoride and toothpaste? I'm not talking about water fluoridation or accidentally swallowing toothpaste, I mean just normal daily use for brushing teeth, there's nothing wrong with that, right? Or rather, is there another alternative that's just as effective for preventing tooth decay?
I've heard soap is the way to go, and there are some intersting options down that vein...  Just google "tooth soap."  :)  I'm at a loss for the article I read that really made me start thinking about toothpaste and glycerin and fluoride and that kind of thing...  I'll keep looking though.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,162
Points 36,965
I. Ryan replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 1:53 PM

ladyphoenix:

Though I'm interested in your definition of "proper hygene" since we're talking about people not washing their hair with shampoo and such.

It was supposed to be vague, because I'm not sure about it, but I'll give it a shot.

Maybe just washing everywhere like once a day with cold water in a shower for like 15 minutes.

Or maybe not.

I mean, the problem is that there are so many factors to take into account.

It's like how the average market economist approaches regulations, and how the average anti-market one responds to their arguments: Often the discussion takes the form of the former person talking about how regulations are ridiculous because they cause a bunch of bad incentives such as A, B, C, and so on, but then the latter one responding about how removing a particular regulation ("deregulation") was crazy because of the terrible incentives that came about. And then the conversation goes in circles for the next few hours or whatever while they talk past each other. Basically, a lot of regulations are compensators for other regulations. So, for a lot of regulations (given the current institutional structure), removing them would be a bad idea, because they compensate for others. Like, in a world with risk lending regulations and an FDIC-like institution, getting rid of the former without also doing so with the latter might result in a bunch of chaotic lending or whatever.

So, in the same way, it's hard to make blanket statement like, "Deodorant is useless." I mean, for some people, it might be a compensator for another part of their lifestyle. Or maybe it's just totally useless. I mean, the reason why I was so harsh with shampoo is that its mechanism is really simple: It compensates for itself. It's not a compensator for anything else; which makes it a safe target for a blanket attack. But I can't do that with deodorant. All that I can say is this: Question everything, and do a lot of experiments. But, then again, maybe you like you social life, and don't want to mess with it. Then I can't say anything other than: Nevermind.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

I. Ryan:
But I can't do that with deodorant. All that I can say is this: Question everything, and do a lot of experiments. But, then again, maybe you like you social life, and don't want to mess with it. Then I can't say anything other than: Nevermind.
I promise I read the whole thing.  :)

I think I should have been more precise.  It's not my social life so much as my professional life.  I like my job and the people I work with and I make pretty good money doing what I do.  THAT is something I'd rather not mess with...  for now. 

There are other aspects of my family (as in my husband and I)  lifestyle that do lead me to question the efficacy of such things as toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, and shaving cream... so much so that I've already convinced my husband to go a couple of weeks without using shaving cream based on this thread alone.  I have no doubt that at some point I will try it...  I just can't say it'll be all that "soon" for this particular experiment.  :)

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
  • I've heard soap is the way to go, and there are some intersting options down that vein...  Just google "tooth soap."  :)  I'm at a loss for the article I read that really made me start thinking about toothpaste and glycerin and fluoride and that kind of thing...  I'll keep looking though.

Regarding the "tooth soap", I've looked into that route, and if you start using it, definitely also use a high-flouride moutwash like ACT or something.  From what I've read the topical effects of flouride in toothpaste signifigantly lower your chance of developing cavities.  Systemic flouride from other sources won't cut it for adults.

As for the shaving issue, back when I was in college and scrimping on money, I started just using soap, and it worked fine.  When I graduated, I was using the shaving gel for a while, and getting lots of razor burn, cuts, etc.  Then I used my dad's foam for a week or so while I was visiting them, and was getting a lot better shaves.  Since then I've basically just been using a small amount of foam.  A while ago I downgraded from one of the 5-bladed monstrosities to a 3-blade, and it worked better.  This morning, after reading this thread, I tried just using only warm water.  No real problems, face feels slightly irritated but I might keep it up for a few days.  Shave was definitely close.

As for ditching shampoo and deoderant, I've tried that and it didn't work out, ha.  My hair has always been oily and I started looking like a greaseball at work.  I do use a very gental shampoo though, basically the adult version of baby "no-tears" stuff.  Deoderant I use unscented Arm & Hammer, very simple stuff.  I believe it's similar to the mineral deoderants but a bit more convienent.  I stopped using anti-perspirants loooong ago.

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 660
Elric replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 5:08 PM

I haven't used shaing cream for many years. If I let my facial hair grow out, I'll use a hair trimmer to cut it off before going to the razor. It is easier to shave after stepping out of the shower.

I also don't use store bought shampoo and conditioner, I make my own. Use an old shampoo bottle and put in a couple of tablespoons of baking soda and fill the rest with water. It doesn't lather like shampoo but cleans my hair. For conditioner I use an old conditioner bottle and mix a few tablespoons of vinegar and fill the rest with water. I leave them both in for a few minutes before rinsing. I use to have long hair and it worked well. These are cheap and you probably already have them on hand. You can find recipes online.

I use coconut oil instead of deodorant.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

So-called pheromones have not been found to work in humans, from what I have read.  Despite false advertisements for products like Axe.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 519
Points 9,645
jmorris84 replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 10:56 PM

Is there anyone here who shaves with a straight edge or safety razor that uses Tucker's method?

Tucker, if you read this, please respond with what type of razor you are using. I'd be surprised to see that you use either a straight edge or safety razor without using something that allows the blade to smoothly go across your face. I've shaved with my DE on a dry face before but it wasn't a very enjoyable experience. Not to mention, I had to do it with a less aggresive safety razor. No way in hell I would attemp such a thing with my Merkur.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 5,275
djussila replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 11:12 PM

ladyphoenix:

... so much so that I've already convinced my husband to go a couple of weeks without using shaving cream based on this thread alone. 

Forums change lives. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 11:46 PM

Dustin Jussila:

A new years resolution you should consider is: Stop using shaving cream! Jeffrey Tucker expands on this revolutionary idea in his article The Shaving Cream Racket.

"The problem is this. Shaving cream does something evil to the skin. It somehow weakens the pores and makes the top layer mushy and unresponsive."

"You won't have the face of a tenderized chicken breast. Your skin will be solid and robust. You will feel the same revulsion I do as you encounter that long row of shaving products at the drug store. You too will feel pity on the seventh eights of the human race that does not understand this simple point."

"Stop the insanity!"

Happy New Year!

I haven't used shaving cream for over a year thanks to Jeffrey. My facial skin is 1000 times better, I shave faster, and have less irritation. All I can say is hey it works.

My favorite razor is a 3 blade razor. I can't remember the brand but each blade is more spaced so that hair does not get clogged. It's a cheaper throw away. I've tried the single blades as Jeffrey suggested and haven't been as satisfied. I think that's likely because it's hard to find a good single blade razor.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390

I did today with a standard Gillette. It works. No transition. As if I never used cream. It cuts better too.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 42
Points 855

I've shaved with a DE razor for years (except in the last year since that look isn't "in"). But I've been shaving again lately and I tried the Tucker method yesterday. I figured it would hurt for a week and then my face would adjust. Instead it actually worked far better than I imagined. It feels different, like you're shaving a bar of wax. Also I didn't wash my face before so that my natural skin oil was still on my face. I use a Merkur Futur with feather blades set on about 4.5.

"In a modern democracy, no matter whom you vote for, the government always gets elected" -Christopher Westley

Page 2 of 3 (99 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS