Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Production and currency

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
430 Posts
Points 8,145
MrSchnapps posted on Thu, Mar 10 2011 10:42 PM

Production in a modern economy originates and occurs only after the issuance of currency.

Would you say that this is an accurate description? I beg of you to forgive my economic ignorance if I've totally missed it with this question--economics is my side hobby after political science, philosophy, and theology, so I haven't had the time I've wanted to devote to it.

“Remove justice,” St. Augustine asks, “and what are kingdoms but gangs of criminals on a large scale? What are criminal gangs but petty kingdoms?”
  • | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Male
907 Posts
Points 14,795

I believe you will get more answers if you unpack the first sentence.

What do you mean by that? That production would not happen if we had no fiat currency? Or that all production happens only after the order is placed AND the price is paid by the customer?

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
430 Posts
Points 8,145

Yes, what I mean to say is that the cycle must begin with the issuance of fiat currency before production can take place (in a modern economy anyway).

“Remove justice,” St. Augustine asks, “and what are kingdoms but gangs of criminals on a large scale? What are criminal gangs but petty kingdoms?”
Top 150 Contributor
533 Posts
Points 8,445

If this is true, it's completely ass backwards and might explain some of our problems. For example, do you need a fiat currency to start a garden in your backyard?

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

Money made possible a much expanded division of labor, but I'm not sure why you think that this money has to be issued by government.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
430 Posts
Points 8,145

That would depend if you're going to utilize just what nature gives you, or if you're going to buy seed, soil, a watering system, etc etc.

Edit: I don't think it has to be issued by the government. Obviously people could revert to gold or silver, or other currencies, but I don't think that's happening on a large enough scale to even land on the radar. I could be wrong, though.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

I would suggest looking up Mises's regression theorem.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
112 Posts
Points 2,025
Anton replied on Fri, Mar 11 2011 2:00 PM

MrSchnapps:
Production in a modern economy originates and occurs only after the issuance of currency.

My first thought was to write: "Main function of money is the medium of exchange and it was adopted to facilitate trade and replace an enefficient barter system. So your statement is not true". But the key word is  modern economy  . Anyway, I tend to think thay production is primary thing in the economy and currency is nothing more than medium of exchange. If all of sudden money disappeared it would probably stop production for a period of time required to establish new currency. But I completely disagree that money comes first and only after that production. At least, you' ve got to produce something and exchange it for money.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS