Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Man, Economy, and State Study Guide

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 8
Points 190
Will Posted: Tue, Mar 15 2011 4:45 PM

I have begun to read MES (still in the intro parts), and have the Murphy's Study Guide.

My question is, how does one best use the study guide? Should I read his guide on a chapter, then the chapter in MES, or read MES then read the part of the study guide?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

I would use it after reading each chapter because the study guide has questions at the end to quiz you

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 66
Points 1,140
Anarcho replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 7:27 PM

I am myself going to start reading it soon and it has been suggested here on another thread to read the study guide that relates to the chapter but don't read the study questions.  Then read the chapter in MES and after you are done read and do the study questions.  Reading the study guide first minus the questions gives you an idea of the important points that will be discussed in that chapter, kinda like giving you a heads up.  It seems like a good strategy to me.

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." - Murray N. Rothbard.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 8
Points 190
Will replied on Wed, Mar 16 2011 3:09 PM

Thanks

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Wed, Mar 16 2011 4:06 PM

Depending on your knowledge of Austian economics, using the study guide for some of the earlier chapters can just take up time.  If you understand the action axiom and marginal utility (a concept taught in most economics classes in high school), then there's not much else the study guide can help you with on those subjects.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS