Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Supply curve and the economy of scale

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
850 Posts
Points 27,940
Eugene posted on Wed, Apr 13 2011 11:32 AM

Help me understand basic economics here. According to the supply curve it costs companies more dollars per product to supply larger quantity of products. But with economy of scale isn't it supposed to be the opposite? The more products a company produces the cheaper should be the production cost of each product. What don't I understand here?

Thanks.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Male
630 Posts
Points 9,425

The supply curve refers to the sales price, the economy of scale refers to the cost price. The supply curve says that when demand increases and supply is unchanged then the price may go up. Economy of scale is a term that refers to unit cost savings that can be had from increasing production.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
304 Posts
Points 4,800

Eugene,

I haven't had time to give you a full response, but check out this interactive S/D graph. I think it might better explain what is going on in the mainstream view for you.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,651 Posts
Points 51,325

Eugene:
According to the supply curve it costs companies more dollars per product to supply larger quantity of products.

Uhm, what?

All a supply curve shows is that with an increase in price, there will be a greater quantity supplied to the market.

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS