Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Should a price ceiling be imposed on gasoline prices in the U.S. market?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 30 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 290
JustCurious posted on Sun, May 29 2011 7:08 AM

Why or why not?

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Male
645 Posts
Points 9,865
James replied on Sun, May 29 2011 7:15 AM

Don't you think that might result in gas shortages?

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 290

Yes I do, but wouldn't that put pressure on the market to allocate resources to more sustainable fuel sources?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
154 Posts
Points 3,150
GooPC replied on Sun, May 29 2011 7:23 AM

If you want cheep energy just let the market produce energy. If sustainable fuel sources really are a cheaper way to create power then the market will "automatically" produce them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Male
645 Posts
Points 9,865
James replied on Sun, May 29 2011 7:25 AM

Yes I do, but wouldn't that put pressure on the market to allocate resources to more sustainable fuel sources?

I think that's the consumer's prerogitive in a free society.  I don't think anyone should put a gun to the consumer's head for the sake of their unbelievable end-of-the-world stories.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 150 Contributor
Male
653 Posts
Points 13,185
Suggested by Chris

I think you have it backwards.  Artificially lowering the price the of gas gives less of an incentive to invest in alternative energy.  If solar panels are only profitible when gas is $5/gal, why would anyone buy solar panels when gas is $3/gal? 

Also (and I could be completely wrong about this), gasoline usage stays roughly the same whether it is $3 or $5 per gallon so I don't think the rise in average price is completely a function of supply.  In my mind, shortages will be localized in situations where there really conveniant name brand gas station has to charge the same as the inconvenient off-label station.  That nice downtown BP will not be able to maintain supply when it is the only station for 3 miles and is charging just as low a price of everyone else.  At the same time those cheaper stations on the wrong side of the street will not be able to move their product when you can get it for the same price at a superior location.

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 290

When hydrocarbons are essentially depleted as a fuel source, how will the market proceed to offer these alternatives in a cost effective and timely fashion without allocating a substantial amount of resources and research to them before the fact?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
167 Posts
Points 2,395
Lyle replied on Sun, May 29 2011 9:07 AM

Hydrocarbon producing companies will naturally diversify into other fuel sources as hydrocarbons deplete in order to stay in business.  That is where the allocation of resources and research will come from.  Business who want to stay in business when their gravy train is coming to an end, invest in other venues to keep the gravy train going. 

Top 50 Contributor
2,360 Posts
Points 43,785
Answered (Not Verified) z1235 replied on Sun, May 29 2011 9:44 AM
Suggested by Vent

JustCurious:

When hydrocarbons are essentially depleted as a fuel source, how will the market proceed to offer these alternatives in a cost effective and timely fashion without allocating a substantial amount of resources and research to them before the fact?

If/when the supply of hydrocarbons starts falling, their price would rise making alternatives more competitive. Humans/markets are also forward looking. (They plan ahead). If the market anticipates an impending hydrocarbons supply deplition, it becomes a good idea to invest in alternatives even when the current price of their production is higher than the price of hydrocarbons today in anticipation of gaining energy market share in the future. No date exists where hydrocarbons go from fully satisfying demand to satisfying no demand at all. Supply and demand -- and everyone's future projections of same -- change, hence market prices change affecting the present and projected profitability of everything

No need for a government bureaucrat to worry his little mind about saving the world. The world is perfectly capable of saving itself through the system of private property and voluntary exchange of same. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,899 Posts
Points 37,230

How about instead of a cieling... we just have OPEC stop artificially restricting supply...? 

Just a thought.

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

JustCurious:

Why do you think your preferences should trump other people's?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
2,360 Posts
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sun, May 29 2011 11:47 AM

Laotzu del Zinn:

How about instead of a cieling... we just have OPEC stop artificially restricting supply...? 

Just a thought.

The owners of oil (OPEC) can control/restrict the amounts they sell however they want. The problem are government policies beholding economies to such control through privileges, subsidies, and regulation (translate: parasitic and/or pea-brained socio-economic engineering). A free market can easily find its way around a monopoly it deems abusive.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, May 29 2011 12:12 PM

Lyle:

Hydrocarbon producing companies will naturally diversify into other fuel sources as hydrocarbons deplete in order to stay in business.  That is where the allocation of resources and research will come from.  Business who want to stay in business when their gravy train is coming to an end, invest in other venues to keep the gravy train going. 

No, no, only the wise leaders in gubmint have that kind of foresight. The private sector is just focused on the next quarter's earnings. The President and Congress are focused on the next election which is a really long time horizon!

Clayton -
http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Not Ranked
18 Posts
Points 1,455

That's rubbish. the primary motive of any firm is to increase its short term profits. driving millions and billionsof $ into potentially wasteful research for something that will happen 50 years down the line isn't something they would be inclined to do. there is no money to be made from investing in alternative fuels if these firms cant package and market it within a couple of years.

hence, we need good old government to subsidize these industries into investing in new technologies.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

RonPaulLol:
That's rubbish. the primary motive of any firm is to increase its short term profits. driving millions and billionsof $ into potentially wasteful research for something that will happen 50 years down the line isn't something they would be inclined to do.

Can you support this? Sounds like bare assertion to me.

RonPaulLol:
there is no money to be made from investing in alternative fuels if these firms cant package and market it within a couple of years.

Again, support?

RonPaulLol:
hence, we need good old government to subsidize these industries into investing in new technologies.

Translation: "I know better than you do, but you're in my way, so I'm going to use the aggressive power of the government to get you out of my way."

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS