Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

(Personal) Is getting a PhD in Austrian Economics worth it?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875
Freedom4Me73986 Posted: Thu, Jun 16 2011 2:14 AM

Just asking for the heck of it. I know that some universities like George Mason and NYU provide PhD programs in Austrian Econ and it sounds interesting. But is it worth it to spend 4-6 years working on a PhD in a field most people don't understand?

Also, if it was you looking to get such a degree, what university/universities would you apply to and why?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

I would only do it if I could get in a highly ranked program such as NYU. You will have better job prospects after graduating from such a program. While in grad school I would work on public speaking and look to become a public intellectual after graduating. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 383
Points 8,775
Sukrit replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 6:19 PM

Only you can answer that question. It's worth doing a PhD if you're genuinely interested in the subject, and want to take it to the most intellectually rigorous and demanding level. It doesn't matter if the school you're going to is highly ranked (you can always publish in top journals regardless of what university you attend) or if other people are/aren't bored by economics; that's not the point of doing a PhD. Bottom line: only do a PhD if you're serious about an academic career.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,445
Phaedros replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 6:26 PM

"become a public intellectual after graduating. "

How does one go about doing that? Writing books?

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 485
Nico replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 9:29 PM

Specializing in Austrian Economics (as opposed to other branches of economics) will very probably doom you to a low-paying job in an unremarkable school. Do it only if you love to teach and study economics - don't expect much recognition or glory. Understand that you will also have to learn - and, probably, teach - mainstream econ as well.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Given how much they pay community college professors, "low paying job" is relative.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

There is already an oversupply of economists.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 11:51 PM

@Caley McKibbin

If only there were an oversupply of good economists...but alas, it is not to be.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

"become a public intellectual after graduating. "

How does one go about doing that? Writing books?

If I was pursuing a Ph.D from an elite university, I would try to incorporate some of my dissertation research into a popular book. I would then try to get involved with the Mises Institute similar to how the other Mises scholars did.

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 980
claudius replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 12:33 AM

The only university that offers a PhD in Austrian economics is GMU.  NYU lists Austrian as a specialization, but consider that you'll have to take two years of micro/macro theory, econometrics and pass comps too.   Plus, you might not even get in if you don't have enough math under your belt.

If you're going to go for a PhD in econ, you should be prepared to specialize in other fields.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 337
Points 7,660

Top marks for Claudius for a smart but succint answer. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS