Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

New forums... HELP!!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845
Clayton posted on Sun, Jun 19 2011 11:32 PM

I have created an account with the new forums. I've reset the password twice. But every time I try to log in I get "Site Suspended" at some WordPress login. What in the world is this?? How do I log in???

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Clayton:

Since 2005, all cellphones have GPS tracking. Tell me that isn't creepy as hell. The formal government is not the only evil... and please do not mistake me to be saying Facebook is evil just because they're big and successful. I have no problem with success... more power to Zuckerberg for being successful... but if you think the Establishment is going to take the Internet laying down, you got another thing coming.

Clayton -

I see. By GPS I figured you meant, by its common usage, technology akin to what TomTom has which tells you where you are within a yard. Not all phones have that. Any phone can be triangulated, but if you want to consider that GPS, then go ahead.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Clayton:
Since 2005, all cellphones have GPS tracking. Tell me that isn't creepy as hell.

Okay even with your link I still don't see what you're talking about.  For one thing, it's an eHow page.  But even going through what it says (and the ftc pdf linked at the bottom) I see nothing that says all phones have GPS tracking...and nothing about a 2005 threshhold.  If you're counting triangulation as "GPS tracking" (which it isn't) then, fine.  Every cell phone has the ability to be triangulated.  That kind of goes with the territory of having celluar service.

What you're saying is the equivalent of something like "all computers since 1980 have electrocution capability."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Or, all desktop computers have GPS!!! 

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 12:13 AM

*shrug... go ahead and underestimate the ambitions of the domestic electronic surveillance apparatus. Negroponte was just joking when he tried to create the Total Information Awareness program (with this creepy logo) at the Pentagon. I may be mistaken that every cellphone has an onboard GPS but this is what I was told by an industry insider.

Clayton -

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

He was either one (of plenty) "insiders" who don't have any idea what they're talking about, or you misunderstood him.  But of course being an "insider" doesn't mean you have any credibility...of honesty or competency.  Again, you could position a phone through triangulation, but that's kind of the nature of a cell phone.  Just like electricity is part of how a computer works.  It comes with the territory.  This is not to say it's completely impossible for information like that to be obtained and used against you...just like it's not completely impossible for a computer to electricute you.  That doesn't mean it's some "hidden feature."  The fact that a cell phone could be positioned is a matter of physics.  It's not some creepy nefarious plot.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

He was either one (of plenty) "insiders" who don't have any idea what they're talking about, or you misunderstood him.  But of course being an "insider" doesn't mean you have any credibility...of honesty or competency.  Again, you could position a phone through triangulation, but that's kind of the nature of a cell phone.  Just like electricity is part of how a computer works.  It comes with the territory.  This is not to say it's completely impossible for information like that to be obtained and used against you...just like it's not completely impossible for a computer to electricute you.  That doesn't mean it's some "hidden feature."  The fact that a cell phone could be positioned is a matter of physics.  It's not some creepy nefarious plot.

Well, first of all, I'm an amateur radio operator, I've actually participated in a triangulation event so I understand what it is and how it works. As far as it being "not impossible" that's quite the understatement. Cellphone location records are routinely obtained for police investigations and prosecution. After glossing over a half-dozen internet articles, it appears that the vast majority of cellphones in actual use contain a GPS device, whether it is exposed to the consumer or not, and this device is what satisfies the FCC's E911 requirements.

I'll emphasize this point one last time: the ambitions of the domestic surveillance apparatus are difficult to overstate. Feel free to sluff it off as the rantings of a paranoid but I've done my homework on this one and I suggest you do, too, especially since you frequent this site and, I assume, others like it.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Clayton:

*shrug... go ahead and underestimate the ambitions of the domestic electronic surveillance apparatus. 

Where did I do that?

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

I think it's just assumed that's what you're doing if you don't believe that every phone has GPS.

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS