Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

On Tacit Contracts

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 47 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
177 Posts
Points 2,860
Naevius posted on Wed, Dec 28 2011 8:29 PM

So, we libertarians pretty much accept the fact that tacit contracts do exist (or at least it seems that way from my reading of Kinsella's Against Intellectual Property and some Walter Block lectures). Yet, on the flip side, there are some we agree are entirely illegitimate (the social contract, for example).

The question I'm bringing up for discussion is, then:

What are the limits of tacit/implied contracts? What criteria do we use to determine if they are just or unjust?

And, if you wish, tackle associated problems like how would they be handled in a free society, etc. etc.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Citation for the implicit contracts?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Dec 28 2011 10:19 PM

The problem with the social contract is not its "tacitness", it is the fact that there is no counter-party. If I walk into "Joe's Eats", sit down, order food, eat it, and then proceed to walk out without paying, claiming "I never signed no contract stating I would pay Joe upon eating the food, so Joe has no claim against me" is obviously flawed precisely because there is, in fact, a tacit contract between me and Joe.

But if the King says "You must pay taxes because you have a tacit contract with Society" my question is, "Where is this Society? Can I meet him/her? Can we sit down and try to work things out, maybe come to a bargained settlement? How does Mr. Society come to have rights on a par with a human being? Since Mr. Society cannot speak for himself, who speaks for these rights and by what right does that individual speak for Mr. Society?" The problem with admitting disembodied entities to the plaintiff's seat is that they are invariably the hand-puppet of some other, real flesh-and-blood human being or group of human beings.

For example, in the Inquisition, the accused was tried for offenses against God. But no matter whether God exists or not, he does not sit in the plaintiff's seat himself, some human must speak on his behalf. I want to know by what right that human lodges a complaint against me on behalf of God who supposedly has many more rights than the individual speaking on his behalf. Perhaps the Holy Office does not have the right to not hear blasphemy but God does have the right not to hear blasphemy. But in registering their complaint against me on God's behalf, is not the Holy Office really just engaging in a word trick? Are they not really just trying me for violation of bullshit dogma they're enforcing in order to regiment society and make it more amenable to subjugation, taxation, serfdom and the "giving" of tithes and using "God" as a verbal blind to cover this blatantly self-interested behavior?

How is the King's appeal to a social contract any different? You can say, "well, we don't have Kings nowadays, we have politicians selected by Society itself." But the same question still applies with equal force, just to multiple individuals instead of one. Aren't the lobbyists (and politicians) who are directly benefitting from their supposed advocacy on behalf of the mythical "Society" really using this non-existent entity as a verbal blind to cover their blatantly self-interested behavior? Even assuming "Society" existed and assuming that it has rights far exceeding the individual human being and assuming that it has appointed politicians to be its spokespersons, why can't I object to the transparently corrupt behavior of its supposed advocates?

We pay taxes so those who receive taxes - directly or indirectly - can live at our expense. Everything else is just smoke and mirrors.

Read this.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
458 Posts
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 11:39 AM

A contract is an agreement. A tacit contract is an agreement that was never explicitly stated, but the terms are understood by both parties and consented to. The limit you speak of is simply a determination of whether or not there was an agreement.

The criteria for determining their justness would be the same for an explicitly stated and signed contract. As Kinsella points out, a signed contract is not necessarily proof, merely evidence of an agreement. If one of the parties later claims there was no agreement, both sides must present their evidence and the arbiter must make as fair and rational a decision as he can.

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - Mencken

Top 150 Contributor
Male
645 Posts
Points 9,865
James replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 11:42 AM

Balances of probabilities whether a contract exists...  Surrounding circumstances, extrinsic evidence.  It is an essential aspect of a contract for there to have been real agreement between the parties, and to be able to identify these parties precisely, which is where the "social contract" fails right off the bat.

A written contract is just a record and very strong piece of evidence that a contract exists...  It's not the agreement itself, which exists abstractly.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 500 Contributor
180 Posts
Points 4,050
Top 150 Contributor
Male
645 Posts
Points 9,865
James replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 2:56 PM

Some browsers have issues posting on this site.  Try using Chrome.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 500 Contributor
180 Posts
Points 4,050
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

I am not convinced that implicit contracts are enforceable. Of course, in a reasonable society I'd expect them to essentially be enforceable through some consciousness of the individuals that if they do not follow through on implicit contracts they will be marginalized.

Top 500 Contributor
180 Posts
Points 4,050

Thanks, James.

A legitimate contract involves a meeting of the minds and an element of mutual obligation or exchange. An enforceable contract usually requires a mutually agreed upon arbiter or judge, through the apparatus of the state or otherwise, and then an enforcing agent or agency to guarantee compliance.

Though a mutual obligation exists between the individual and the state--the former to obey the law and thereby protect the state; the latter to protect the individual--it can easily be argued that the Social Contract is not valid, as no meeting of the minds is possible where the state is not a mind-possessing entity (nor, for that matter, its elected representatives) and the individual is not free in advance to refuse its protection and yet maintain his own freedom.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
458 Posts
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 9:07 PM

Wheylous:
I am not convinced that implicit contracts are enforceable.

Why would they not be enforceable?

Not Ranked
Male
70 Posts
Points 1,205

First off this is my first post and I just wanted to start out by saying hello to everyone and I look forward to becoming an active member of the community. I love the question. It is a very interesting gray area and everyone's responses have been equally facinating. Personally I think choice is necessary for a tacit contract. If the person is of age and his/her decision is not forced and they had full knowledge of all the aspects, then I really can't think of a limitation unless it promotes physical harm. Like the agreement between the restaurant owner and the patron, if the patron chooses what he wants on the menu, then this seems like a reasonalbe tacit contract.

When it comes to the government it gets a little more tricky, since we don't actually make choices, our representives do. There seems like there should be a tacit contract between politicians and voters, but then who is going to enforce it and also politicians are not omnipotent, so there could be a very legitamate reasons they couldn't deliver their promises. I think the same rule applies though, that a contract is valid unless it promotes harm. The draft seems illegitamte unless a country is under direct attack and may be facing the possibility of defeat. Unfortunately the government may make wrong decisions, but I guess that is the necessary evil of having a government and to change things a citizen must weather the storm and/or organize until it is time for election. Also any law that impedes choice seems illegitamate, as the citizen no longer has a connection to the contract.

If anyone is interested I just started a youtube channel, that attempts to explain Austrian Economics in a humorous manner.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYlgoJcL5M0]

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:11 PM

I meant that they shouldn't be enforceable.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
458 Posts
Points 6,985
gocrew replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:51 PM

Wheylous:
I meant that they shouldn't be enforceable.

OK. Why?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:54 PM

Because they're arbitrary and not defined. Of course, there is strong tradition for me to pay after visiting a restaurant, but really, has anyone told me that this must be so and had me agree?

Once you make one implicit contract valid, that opens up a gigantic slippery slope for all implicit contracts.

Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS