Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What is the current Money Supply?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 80
danielnuss posted on Wed, Feb 15 2012 7:33 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have a chart on the current money supply? What is the price of gold? I know that fiat money does not relate well to gold. I'm just looking for a fairly good estimate. 

Any good books or reading material on the coming monetary collapse? Any investment resources that are of austrian perspective?

Thank you!

Daniel

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 500 Contributor
Male
223 Posts
Points 5,335
Verified by danielnuss

FRED. Learn it, love it, live it.

Notice the increased slope (this is logarithmic scale). That means that the rate of increase in the money supply is increasing. The rate of the rate of increase is positive, which means accelerating growth in monetary supply. It's typically held very constant (though you can notice a bump in the early part of the decade), but the fact that it's increasing is worrying, as if an increasing monetary supply is not bad enough, the rate of increase in the monetary supply is increasing!

Yes, I am a huge Dodgers fan.

Anti-state since I learned about the Cuban Revolution and why my dad had to flee the country.

Beer, Guns and Baseball My blog

• | Post Points: 55
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135
Verified by danielnuss

danielnuss:
Does anyone have a chart on the current money supply?

Depends on what you mean...

Money Supply

"Lost in a Maze of Money Aggregates?"

True Money Supply

What is the price of gold?

In terms of what?

GoldPrice.org

Any good books or reading material on the coming monetary collapse?

It might be good to understand how we got here:

See here, and here.

If you want hyperinflation resources, see here.

Any investment resources that are of austrian perspective?

See here.

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Male
223 Posts
Points 5,335
Verified by danielnuss

FRED. Learn it, love it, live it.

Notice the increased slope (this is logarithmic scale). That means that the rate of increase in the money supply is increasing. The rate of the rate of increase is positive, which means accelerating growth in monetary supply. It's typically held very constant (though you can notice a bump in the early part of the decade), but the fact that it's increasing is worrying, as if an increasing monetary supply is not bad enough, the rate of increase in the monetary supply is increasing!

Yes, I am a huge Dodgers fan.

Anti-state since I learned about the Cuban Revolution and why my dad had to flee the country.

Beer, Guns and Baseball My blog

• | Post Points: 55
Top 150 Contributor
666 Posts
Points 13,120

So what's that--1/5 of the total private debt?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135
Verified by danielnuss

danielnuss:
Does anyone have a chart on the current money supply?

Depends on what you mean...

Money Supply

"Lost in a Maze of Money Aggregates?"

True Money Supply

What is the price of gold?

In terms of what?

GoldPrice.org

Any good books or reading material on the coming monetary collapse?

It might be good to understand how we got here:

See here, and here.

If you want hyperinflation resources, see here.

Any investment resources that are of austrian perspective?

See here.

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 80

Great! Thank you so much for your quick reply. I just found FRED myself, had never seen it before, nad it seems like a great resource.

Thanks again! I look forward to the day when I can contribute back with knowledge :)

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 80

John, 

Thank you so much for the resources! What do you think about this book: http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Money-Collapse-Monetary-Breakdown/dp/1118095758 ?

Thanks again!

Daniel

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

I actually haven't read that one myself, but it is sold in the Mises Store (cheaper than Amazon, I might add, so you might wish to get it here...plus it would be supporting the Institute, of course).

I would lean on the side of it being worth a read at least, just on the fact that the store carries it.  They also have When Money Dies.  (If you PM me, I can tell you where to get a free audiobook reading of that one if you prefer to listen).

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS